1991 YJ Fuel pump electrical issue

inhouston2

[FONT=&quot]1991 YJ 4.0 Automatic. Fuel pump was not working and, by the way, I think it was actually dead. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Before I get there, though, the orange striped wire to the pump is, I understand, supposed to provide about 2 seconds of juice to prime the pump. I could only get it to provide an instant of power, a literal flash with a test light, then nothing. If you move on to cranking, it is powered up during that phase. A rebuilt ecu and changing relays around were no help. Any thoughts? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I would imagine priming is important so it will fire right up. I sure want it is all right before the tank goes back. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Many thanks!
John[/FONT]

If the line pressure is at or above 35 psi it will kick off in 1-2 seconds.

If it primes longer and pressure does mot reach 35 psi there is a leak. Maybe a injector stuck or the check valve is bad. If its a new pump it likely has the check valve in the assembly and likely good.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

If the line pressure is at or above 35 psi it will kick off in 1-2 seconds.

If it primes longer and pressure does mot reach 35 psi there is a leak. Maybe a injector stuck or the check valve is bad. If its a new pump it likely has the check valve in the assembly and likely good.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Makes sense but no line pressure at all since the pump is disconnected and out. It is not kicking off, it is not priming at all. Thanks, John

Back