Help! 2012 Wrangler Sahara shuts off while driving...No codes, Lightning bolt?

JRSJeep

Hi,
I've been dealing with an intermittent problem with my 2012 Wrangler Sahara (122,500 miles).

It decelerates as I'm trying to accelerate onto a road or highway. It happens once in a while and pulls no codes. Once the RPMs drop (very quickly), I pull over and try to restart it. It cranks, and a lightning bolt appears on the dash. It usually takes about 10-15 minutes of cranking (and pushing down on the gas pedal---something I read in another forum) until it restarts.

As you can imagine, this is a hazard. I've been nearly hit several times.

I've taken it to several mechanics who can not figure out the issue.
I've had the throttle body replaced. I brought it to the dealership, and they've been driving it for two weeks without an engine issue. Not surprisingly, they've suggested a buy a new one!

I'm going to attempt to attach a short video I took while on the side of the road attempting to restart it. If the file is too large, I'll try again later.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, in advance,
JR

JR,

My wife had a Chevy Malibu that had similar problems. I would investigate your battery. Is it original? Her battery was hovering right at the operational voltage. It would drop slightly and the engine would simply die without notice. With your Wrangler at 9 years old, I would suspect you are at the tail end of the useful life of the second battery. Have it tested, look for an install date on it's sticker. Good luck.

Back