Kether

i need help diagnosing this knock in a 2005 tj 4.0 liter in line 6 cyliinder
im guessing its a sticky lifter or valve
let me know what you think
[/video]

That is loud.
It could be a lifter or a loose rocker.
Is the CEL light on? Do you know how to pull codes with the key dance?

Did you do anything prior to this issue?

Also it could be timing knock. The OPDA oil pump drive assembly and CAM gear wear. Some call it screaming monkeys.
OPDA is to the right of the oil filter when standing on the passenger side.

Here is the link that works

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
OPDA tick from another jeep

What you will see
Image1617159913.113291.jpg

no trouble codes i recently changed the water pump and thermostat and put in a new pcm and new spark plugs. none of those things could cause knocking

no trouble codes i recently changed the water pump and thermostat and put in a new pcm and new spark plugs. none of those things could cause knocking
im not getting the "screaming monkey" effect. its very clearly a knock that matches the rpms so im thinking its not the OPDA and is more likely lifters, valves or rods

Plugs and/ or a PCM can cause knocking. By fowling or timing.

And the OPDA will match the RPM . Its driven off of the CAM.

It’s Your vehicle.... but an easy check for OPDA could be accomplished by: you could clock the engine to TDC on #1 and either see if the locking pin holes line up on the OPDA housing to the timing ring and or lock them and pull the OPDA and inspect the gears.

Screaming monkeys do not always occur. I threw a code snd rough idle when i changed mine at 90K. At 60K it didn’t look bad to consider change.

Last edited:
Plugs and/ or a PCM can cause knocking. By fowling or timing.

And the OPDA will match the RPM . Its driven off of the CAM.

It’s Your vehicle.... but an easy check for OPDA could be accomplished by: you could clock the engine to TDC on #1 and either see if the locking pin holes line up on the OPDA housing to the timing ring and or lock them and pull the OPDA and inspect the gears.

Screaming monkeys do not always occur. I threw a code snd rough idle when i changed mine at 90K. At 60K it didn’t look bad to consider change.

I did what you suggested and it quieted down the knock a lot. it seems i need a new opda to get rid of it completely. Thanks for the help.

Glad it helped. Get it replaced before too much wear on the CAM

I replaced mine with dorman brand. So far so good.

Back