2005 TJ manual trans.: slight gear-grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

JOBO

Hey Everyone,
I can hear/feel a light gear grinding when shifting and accelerating from 1st to 2nd on my 2005 TJ w manual trans.
I have to be slow/careful pulling it out of 1st and putting into 2nd gear to prevent the grinding sound.
It is difficult to accelerate quickly because the faster I try to accelerate the easier the grinding happens.
The sound reminds me of driving an old farm tractor when I was a kid...like how a tractor transmission grinds a bit then shifting from gear to gear (if that makes sense).
This issue does not happen when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and higher.
It does not happen when downshifting into 2nd or 1st.
Is there is a mechanism that helps align things when shifting?...then it seems like it would be the problem, but I'm not mechanically inclined.
Any thoughts on what I'm dealing with and what to ask a mechanic to check/repair?
Thanks in advance.
J B

What rear gears do you have along with tire size?

The 6 speed nsg370 has a really low 1st gear. I pull out in 2nd with 3:73 rears and 33s maybe at 35s id use first but loose 6th.

Syncro is what aligns gears when shifting to avoid grinding. Hard shifting, leaving your hand on the shifter bends the syncro. Wrong trans fluid pits and wears the syncro.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I forgot there is an issue with the NSG370 grinding in 2nd and reverse.
Some get away with using redline synchromesh some end up replacing the gear.

Are you sure your clutch is in good condition?

Back