2005 TJ windshield frame and bolts seized, broken, extractor snapped off..HELP

JOBO

Long story short:
2005 TJ with broken windshield & rusted windshield frame both need replacing.
Half of the torx bolts on both sides were seized...and then stripped...
I've tried:
  • PB Blaster to loosen them,
  • a torch,
  • dremmeling a slot ,
  • drilling them out and
  • inserting an extractor.
This worked on only two of the bolts.
Three..of them have broken drill bits or broken extractor tips inside them.
What do you do when penetrating spray, torch, dremmeling, drilling, and extracting don't work?
I'm literally thinking about hacksawing the window hinges and having the new window frame welded on.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Try Liquid Wrench, wet the bolt, then lightly tap tap tap with a small ball peen hammer. The tap tap tap helps the Liquid Wrench get into the threads. Repeat every few hours for 24 hours. Then try the removal things you already tried again.

When you are that far in... Im not sure. When drilling out use cobalt drill bits and lubricate. The bits are hard but shatter if you push too hard or bend the bit. If you break a bit diamond is the next hardest.

The bolts have loctite from the factory. Using a sharp torx bit and cleaning out the bolt of paint or debris. Make sure it the torx is a tight fit. PB blaster soak. Put the torx bit in and heat with a torch to soften the loctite. Tap it a few times. Start to loosen. Do not use a breaker bar as you are likely to strip the bolt quickly. When you get the bolt to move a bit rock between tightening and loosening. Reheat between. The rocking breaks up the rust and allows the penetrating oil to work.

^^ditto on the tapping the back of the torx bit after heating.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Image1619401459.341474.jpg

This is sharp. Note no rounded edges.

Also, sounds crazy, but has worked. Tighten it, then loosen it repeat.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up buying Irwin Cobalt drill bits and drilling out the torx bolts that were stripped. It was a nightmare, but I finally installed my new windshield frame and glass. From now on I will assume that I everything on my TJ is fused together. I will never 'believe" any bolt is removable. No screw can be unscrewed. It is just one monolithic piece of metal. Then I will never be disappointed or surprised again.

Glad you got it done.

I've got one of these that works well

Amazon.com

You hit it with a hammer, and it both presses the bolt tight, and turns it a few degrees. Works well for really bad bolts. You'd also need a torx adapter.

cacheJeepzImage.php

I've got one of these that works well

Amazon.com

You hit it with a hammer, and it both presses the bolt tight, and turns it a few degrees. Works well for really bad bolts. You'd also need a torx adapter.

cacheJeepzImage.php

Clean the paint and gunk out of the corners in the torx bolt. Soak with PB blaster. Put the sharp torx bit in. Heat the bit to near red hot then attach impact and give it a wack.
Heat loosens any rust or thread lock,

Last edited:
what i have found works the best on breaking torx bits out is just using a longer lever arm. those short 10-12 ratchets require a lot of force to break a torx and you end up leaning or not applying force squarely and stripping the torx. i have a 24 and 30 inch ratchet so i can put the bit into the head and just leisurely apply pressure t the end of the ratchet and the bolt comes smoothly out

and i am like you, jobo. i live on the gulf coast so i have the dang salt air on everything. its less than half a mile from my house to the water

Back