1995 Wrangler headlight always on.

7502yuma

Hello All,
I recently replaced the headlight high beam / wiper switch and as soon as I connect the battery the headlights come on. Thinking I repinned the connector wrong I unplugged it and the ignition switch connector. Headlights still come on. Next I thought maybe it has a bad auto headlight module but I can't find it under the battery where I read it was located. I disconnected the firewall connector and the headlights go off, and if I disconnect the headlight switch they go off. It seems to be getting back feed from another circuit so I tried pulling every fuse in the fuse box under the dash. Still no. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Are the wipers part of the headlamp switch on a YJ?
I thought the switch was by the drivers left knee on the dash.

Did you verify the ground location for the lights. Its possible something else shares that ground point and is finding ground through the lights.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

This jeep has intermittent wipers. The multifunction switch operates the high/ low beam and the wipers. I have not checked the grounds yet. Funny thing is that this issue was not present before I replaced the switch. Yet even with the column harnesses disconnected the headlights are now on. I was looking at the wiring diagram thinking maybe the DRL module is the cause but with the column disconnected I don't think it gets power. I can't find a wiring diagram or a location for that module if this jeep has DRL at all.

This Jeep is new to me. Actually a friend who I am trying to help out owns it. I understand that there is a headlight modification that some people do to add relays and bypass the headlight switch from carrying the high current. Does anyone know where the typical location for adding the relays is?

The relays can be placed anywhere under the hood. You will see an improvement in brightness with relays carrying the load and not a switch.

Again 1995 jeep wranglers are called YJ. They far predate DRLs. Im not even sure if there is a relay for the lights other than the ign switch. If you fo have a multifunction switch that runs the lights that may be s TJ column??

Do you need a diagram for wiring or a location like on the inner fender... ?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I believe Multifunction Switches are a Communist plot
...to drive us all insane what with their substandard miniscule wiring that's just begging to fail....
That is... that's how it was on my van a '98 Ford, the dimmer went nutz so I took the floor dimmer out of my CJ and got it working. I then just got a new floor dimmer for 'Black Betty'

So I found out that apparently this 1995 wrangler has a column from a 1987 ish wrangler. Pulled the old high beam switch from the lower column and getting a new one today
. There is a metal bar missing from the old one that I believe is the spring mechanism that makes it pop when you switch from high to low.

Back