Getting a "Popping" Noise......

Eclektq

Just finished up swapping a '94 YJ 4.0 with an AX-15 into a '95 YJ and now on occasion when a let out the clutch I'm getting a LOUD popping coming out of the either the tranny or transfer case. I have the floor plate around the shifter removed so I'm hearing it real clear. All angles as far a pinion, Drive shaft U-joints are perfect. Rebuilt front and rear axles and done by an expert that spec'd out the lash and pre loads on both. The transfer case, 231J was on the AX-5 that I snatched out with the 2.5 and we had to go in and change out the input shaft to mate it to the
4.0...Yay Chrysler incompatibilities!! I'm wondering if the transfer case stabilizing bolt not being there would have anything to do with it. Like I said, It's intermittent and there are no accompanying noises, Grinding, Winding etc. Any input will be appreciated!!

Is it on hard pullout no load? Possibly spring wrap??
Any movement in the trans or engine?? Motor or trans mount?

And not a bad end link or loose track bar.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
No load, Only happens when letting out on the clutch first gear, ALL mounts are new, New track bar in the rear but not the front, Ran it a few miles yesterday and it didn't do it at all. All the gears were quiet except for fifth.....Which "Chatters" The whole time you're in it.

In my TJ, I'd try pulling the rear driveshaft, then put it in 4x4 and see if I heard the sound then. That would rule out the rear driveshaft and axle.

If memory serves though, on older Wranglers, you can't run without the rear shaft (the oil drains out). I can't remember the exact years for this though.

Is it popping or banging. On TJ and iirc YJ the exhaust wraps around the oil pan and could bang the pan on aggressive pullouts. And, more often if the exhaust is loose.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback fellas......Gonna snatch it out and have the tranny gone through, And rebuild the transfer case while it's at the tranny shop.

Back