Tach not working

Livinlarger

On my 02 wrangler, 4.0 manual, the tach on the dash does not work at all. It hasn’t worked from the day I bought it a few years ago. I tried pulling the cluster, cleaning connection, etc. Still nothing. Doesn’t even move when doing cluster test. I read somewhere to make sure the needle is not below the pin. It is not.

Any suggestions to get it working? I know it may be the tach gauge is just bad, but any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Try this

Holding in on the trip reset, while turning the ignition key to the "ON" position, reset the needles on the tach and speedo and made them operational again.

If not check the plug on the back of the cluster is good.

Not sure what else but after that you start looking at PCM tests.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thank you JPNinPA.

Just a followup. I took the instrument cluster out of the dash and was able to get the clear lens off. I then moved the tach needle with my fingers. It was a little stiff at first but then loosened up a bit. I reinstalled and the tach began working somewhat. It is still sticking some and doesn't seem to be very accurate, but at least I now know it is the actual tach and not some other problem with the jeep. I will probably take it back out again and see if I can loosen it up some more. If that doesn't work I will consider replacing the instrument cluster (but not too sure if the tach is all that important to do that)

Thank you JPNinPA.

Just a followup. I took the instrument cluster out of the dash and was able to get the clear lens off. I then moved the tach needle with my fingers. It was a little stiff at first but then loosened up a bit. I reinstalled and the tach began working somewhat. It is still sticking some and doesn't seem to be very accurate, but at least I now know it is the actual tach and not some other problem with the jeep. I will probably take it back out again and see if I can loosen it up some more. If that doesn't work I will consider replacing the instrument cluster (but not too sure if the tach is all that important to do that)

The needle sounds needing some lube. My buddy's tachometer issue is opposite, being bouncy. We'll just finish installing the bumper and winch this week and we'll take a closer look at the cluster next.

Back