Spray paint rims???

Anita

Hello Jeep Family!
I own a 2017 White Jeep Wrangler and I been putting red accessories on her. I went to the supermarket today with my wife and I saw a Black Rubicon with 🔥🔥🔥 Red rims. I ask the owner how much for the rims? $600 a piece! I’m trying to buy a house in the near future and I promise wifey I won’t going a spending spree with buying new rims. She actually suggested I spray paint the factory rims red. Any suggestions????

There are many videos on painting wheels. I follow Chris Fix. There are a few other good ones. Good luck!

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Yes, wheels can be painted and can look oretty good.

Steel rims seem to paint easier than aluminum. Prep is the key and several light coats will be less likely to drip.

The kid across the street used that rubberized paint on his sister's Jeep's wheels and that lasted about two years. It looked pretty good. IMHO, regular paint will work out better and be more durable however.

Am I the only one who thought...HOW ABOUT POWDER COATING THEM?

No. Its costly to do properly. $250 -$500 per wheel last i looked.

RE Powder Coating alloy rims: The alloy can be weakened by (lose temper) if subjected to excessive heat cycles, so powder coat of used wheels is not recommended, as I understand.

Last edited:
powder coating temps are so low though. i don't see how they can cause tempering issues. i would think the brakes would get hotter than the temps for powder coating.

a buddy and i did a bunch of parts for his car at my house because i had a parts stove in the garage. not big enough for rims but we did a bunch of engine parts

Anyone see the hack of using playing cards around the rim so there is no need to tape off or even remove the tire? Thought it was pretty ingenious...
As others stated, spraying with rattle cans is definitely doable. I've painted quite a few parts on my motorcycles and they've come out great - some trial and error with stripping and repainting... oy vey.

Anyone see the hack of using playing cards around the rim so there is no need to tape off or even remove the tire? Thought it was pretty ingenious...
As others stated, spraying with rattle cans is definitely doable. I've painted quite a few parts on my motorcycles and they've come out great - some trial and error with stripping and repainting... oy vey.

Check the chris fix U-tube videos.

Back