Difference in Disc/Drum Disc/Disc proportioning valves?

Eclektq

Installed a Teraflex rear disc conversion kit on the YJ. I HIGHLY recommend checking out others before going with this one. Had to grind the calipers down so 31's on 15 rims would turn without binding and low grade quality on fittings etc. I got everything to seal after getting a replacement hardware kit and went to bleeding. Got a hard pedal when not running
but goes squishy once you start it and the booster kicks in, Booster and master are new and work well. I noticed that when we bled the back calipers we'd just get a trickle out of both sides
and the pedal wouldn't go to the floor. The front, Good flow out of bleeders and pedal went to the fire wall. I gutted the proportioning valve and got a little better pedal and performance out of the rear, But it's just not right. I don't want to eliminate the P'valve because I'm told the rears will lock up before the fronts engage. I can only find Disc/Drum proportioning valves on line for a '95 YJ. Anyone know of a P'valve l can cross over to get Disc/Disc specs? All input is appreciated!!

FWIW-Teraflex notes:

PRODUCT NOTES

• Does NOT include Emergency Brake Cables (# 4304169).
• Does NOT work w/ ABS sensors. You will NOT be able to install ABS sensors in the disc brake mounting kit.
• Some factory Jeep 15” wheels may rub on the caliper. Do NOT operate the vehicle until you confirm adequate caliper/wheel clearance.
• Most aftermarket wheels, especially alloy wheels, REQUIRE longer wheel studs when installing a disc brake. Wheel stud specs: 1/2”-20 Serrated Wheel Stud – 0.625” Knurl, 1-5/8” Length. Check local parts store.
• You may cut a slot in the pre-load ring and slide it over the axle shaft if you do not want to replace the wheel bearings.
• These disc brake kits REQUIRE axle shafts w/ a 2.5” bearing offset.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Are you certain you put the calipers on right side up?
Post a pic if you could.

Caution, gutting the valve may have you locking the rears once the issue(s) are fixed.

Also check out Magic brake flip for the emergency brake levers. Not sure they apply to terraflex but worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Gutting the valve didn't do anything as far as locking up the rears......Just not getting near the amount of fluid to the rear as goes to the front. Guessing that drum wheel cylinders require a much smaller amount of fluid to function ie. Move the shoes into the drums than calipers need to push the pistons toward the rotors to contact and apply adequate pressure to the pads.

Did you inspect your hard lines that there are no pinch points or kinks?

I’ve never converted brakes but have read a lot over the years. Read of no issue successes but not of overcoming your issue.

Have you called Teraflex for help?

Also are you sure there is no air in the master?

Back