Best Brakes for the Money?

Jeepinaround

[FONT=&quot]Hi Everyone! We have been using our stock brakes on our TJ Rubicon to stop our TJ on 38s and so far it has been holding up pretty surprisingly well given the huge tire size. Maybe the milestars are lighter than other tires this size? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In any case, we just upgraded all 4 corners to powerstop carbon ceramic pads with drilled/slotted rotors, and man, I can't imagine wanting anything more than this. It stops better than it used to with the original sized tires, and we didn't have to upgrade anything else. I'm interested to hear if anyone else has done a similar upgrade, and what everyone else thinks? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is the reference video showing how we installed it -
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Up next will be the parking brakes - the rear shoes are near done. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cheers and God bless[/FONT]

I used all powerstop the last time I did a brake job on my TJ, and I'm pretty happy with them. I had the same slotted / drilled rotors.

I had never heard of powerstop about 3-4 years ago, and now they appear to be everywhere

Wonder what distance he actually stops if following the SAE Standard for stopping distance J299_200901

Bet it isn’t 100 ft or less.

Drilled and slotted are good for heavy often braking. I had a set when i drove down a steep hill daily on my way to work. Steep grade and lots of turns. In some stretches, If you didn’t touch the brake you could easily go over 70 by gravity accelerating you.
For wheeling smooth rotors give the most area for brakes to grab and result in holding the jeep better.

With 38s i still say he should have upgraded to a big brake kit and bought 17 in rims and tires.
Also he is still running stock brake lines. Tisk tisk! Not going to be fun-when they pop from being stretched.

They skip a lot in these videos. Kind of like Hanes manuals. Could get you in trouble cause its not all there. He he he. Didn’t know they were changing seats!!! “Front driver seat is done… “ He was working on the BRAKEs Bahahaha. Oh and on Rear brakes drums can be just as good as rotors. Rubicons are not the only models with rear disk brakes.

Never wiped the rotors with brake klean to get shipping oil off.
Didn’t bleed the brake. Skipped showing how to pry off the caliper and outside pad.
Back rotors need the parking brake loosened. He didnt replace check or mention those. Nor did he adjust them.
No no’s:
Fully tightened first nut on spacer with pneumatic gun. Good way to bend or improperly seat the rotor and tire. Didnt note the torque spec on the caliper. And worst of all never never fully compress the caliper. Ask me why!

And is it just me or does his tires look like the alignment is off. Like a bent axel tube throwing camber high neg.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
!!!!!No joking!!!!!! You have tire rub on the drivers rubber brake line. It is a good way through!!!!!!
Time 8:58 on the video

They’re no experts and they state as such. More constructive criticism than putting them down as to what they didn’t do would be best. He spends his days in the hospital and free time working on his Jeep’s like most of us. Always looking for advice and getting it done themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Not criticizing- More of an FYI for those deciding to follow this video changing brakes.
Be informed. Stopping is important.

He does tout knowledge and expertise at times. We are all learning.

Last edited:

i don't buy drilled rotors because i used to crack them all the time on my autocross car. same thing with solid rotors. turns out, slotted never cracked.
i know 4x4ing will never put as much heat and cycles per day as racing did but its always in the back of my mind about those bmw rotors cracking, and the drilled and slotted cracking. so i only go slotted now

Back