tailgate third brake light contacts

superj

good morning guys!!

is the access to the back side of those contacts for the third brake light accessed from the wheel area? i moved the black plastic a little and squeezed my hand up in but i couldn't feel the body side of those contacts.

i ask because only the top contact is there so i believe the bottom (negative side of system?) has fallen in. currently i have no working third brake light and that appears to be why. the multimeter says the door side of the system will work once i get that bottom contact found.

i thinking of just grounding the negative side to the spare tire mount through one of the bolts, for now, though.

y'all ever had to work on that area?

my son flies in tonight on leave for a few days so i want to get this fixed in time for him to take to ft carson in a few days since that is his next duty station.

Are you talking about the contacts at the hinge. The push in button contacts?
If so some time ago i had one fall out. Ill have to go back and look to remind me where I found it. It may have been the push on connector on the back of it popped off.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

yes, but the whole grommet is missing on the bottom hole. its really just a hole now. i found one of the door contacts popped out and laying on the carpet. the carpet catches the door side and pops one out so i had to reseat the carpet onto its little Velcro spots, which fixed the problem.

Ebay

From 1997 Parts Book, Wiring-Body & Accessory,

4362012 TERMINAL, C.H.M.S.L. Contact Button -no longer available through mopar

6031562 GROMMET, Sliding Door, Contact Body

56009056 CLAMP, Contact Button

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:

I ended up just grounding the negative side wire to the mounting bolts for the door contact bracket. Once I did that, the third brake light came on so that's good to go.

Just fyi for future readers

Back