97 tj. Something snapped in the rear ??

It would appear that both those bolt pieces are heads meaning two bolts broke ?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

That is what I thought too. Two bolt heads.

That’s not good.

What the heck caused them to snap? Did you or a PO have the rear apart?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

That is what I thought too. Two bolt heads.

That’s not good.

What the heck caused them to snap? Did you or a PO have the rear apart?

Nope. I just heard something snap that night and it started with the clicking.
I’ll have rotate shaft to see if those are the ones missing from the ring gear
I guess one of them backed out enough to maybe hit the housing or something and then got caught between that and the bolt head next to it.
What a mess. If it was any other gears it might be fixable without having to take the whole rear off. I don’t have a garage worthy of all that.
Any suggestions ?

Nope. I just heard something snap that night and it started with the clicking.
I’ll have rotate shaft to see if those are the ones missing from the ring gear
I guess one of them backed out enough to maybe hit the housing or something and then got caught between that and the bolt head next to it.
What a mess. If it was any other gears it might be fixable without having to take the whole rear off. I don’t have a garage worthy of all that.
Any suggestions ?

After watching many gear replacement vids I’m gonna replace the guts. I plan on stock everything so a D35 is ok with me.
Many replies on FB group say get a D44!!
I have no plans on 4 wheelin enough to need a indestructible diff.
And this will be a learning experience as well.

Well many TJs have stock D44 rears so a junkyard swap is possible.

Its also possible to swap in a different carrier if you wanted.

Still find it odd for those bolts to back out. Esp if nothing was done to the rear lately.

Well many TJs have stock D44 rears so a junkyard swap is possible.

Its also possible to swap in a different carrier if you wanted.

Still find it odd for those bolts to back out. Esp if nothing was done to the rear lately.

Very odd. However after removing the cover the entire perimeter was covered in red rtv.
You think that is stock ? Which would lead me to believe it was serviced at some point. Not sure what would be serviced unless it was a fluid change. Seems maybe the loctite failed on those bolts.

RTV is not stock.

Last edited:
Both diff covers leaked on my JK when it was new, the dealer used the red sealant when they reinstalled the covers. Not saying that is what was done with yours, just a possibility.

Ok so 640$ later I will have new:
Spider gears
Ring and pinion gears
All bearings incl axles
Master rebuild parts(mostly R&P goodies)
Dial indicator
Lucas 80w90

From Summit Racing.
Should prove to be a fun project.

3.07 ratio as per the diff tag.
I could go up to 3.55 but required new carrier. Which I’ll need to inspect once removed. It’s possible that is damaged given the collision of metal going on in there from the bolts.

I look forward to your progress!

If you change the rear remember to change the front

And if you have limited slip you need an additive for the clutches.

Last edited:

So quick question.
My old carrier gears have 14 teeth for axle side gear and spider gears have 10 teeth.
Replacement gears have 13 and 9 teeth respectively.

Seems to be an ok arrangement. Same size diameter and fits axle ok.

Is this normal?

IMG_2671.JPG

So another quick update after I’ve got all the gears out of this thing it turns out that of the seven bolts for the ring gear three of them are missing and one had its head sheared off. And it actually slips just a bit off the carrier. So it would seem the rest of the bolts aren’t very tight either geez.

So another quick update after I’ve got all the gears out of this thing it turns out that of the seven bolts for the ring gear three of them are missing and one had its head sheared off. And it actually slips just a bit off the carrier. So it would seem the rest of the bolts aren’t very tight either geez.

Wow even a quicker update turns out only one bolt was actually holding the ring gear and the rest of the bolt there’s one missing and all the other ones are were broken they were broken right at the ring and there was only one bolt holding the thing in geez

Did someone do a neutral drop to burn out with big tires? Or throw it in reverse while rolling forward? Maybe even towing or recovery by dropping the hammer?
Those bolts seem sheered off.
Is your drive shaft ok? Straight? Twisted?

As far as the spider gears I dont think it matters as long as the entire set is replaced. Be sure they fit tight. When you get it all back together. Dry spin the axels to see there is mo play or binding. You should be good to go.

The lower tooth count look beefier.

Last edited:

Did someone do a neutral drop to burn out with big tires? Or throw it in reverse while rolling forward? Maybe even towing or recovery by dropping the hammer?
Those bolts seem sheered off.
Is your drive shaft ok? Straight? Twisted?

As far as the spider gears I dont think it matters as long as the entire set is replaced. Be sure they fit tight. When you get it all back together. Dry spin the axels to see there is mo play or binding. You should be good to go.

The lower tooth count look beefier.

The last any real 4 wheelin was done about 15 yrs ago. My guess is that the bolts were never loctite but eventually came loose and forces of driving broke them. Just glad the broken ones didn’t back out like the one that destroyed the diff Carrier has a Nick in it but nothing to bother about.

Ok so my rebuild kit for the bearings has the pinion rear seal ok(flanged seal) but I didn’t remove a seal that looks like this

What is it or is it just an extra seal for a diff rear ?

Back