Pic?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Pic?

I posted it. It came up in my feed.
I’ll try again
IMG_2690.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

So after ordering a setup bearing for the inside pinion, they finally told me it will 3 weeks (after this one week) for shipping. 🤦*♂️

So I decided to make my own.
Took all of 3 mins.
Using a spare new bearing I used a 1.5” 60 grit flapper disc/barrel for cordless drill. ID of bearing is 1.4” so had to muscle the barrel flapper in a bit. But once started it took of all of maybe 45-65 secs of sanding to remove just enough to let that bearing sit nicely on the pinion without more than about 3-5 lbs of force to remove it.
Should have done this long time ago. All the YT vids seem to have them working like hours to get it shaved down. Pffft.
This grit takes the metal off like butter.

So after ordering a setup bearing for the inside pinion, they finally told me it will 3 weeks (after this one week) for shipping. 🤦*♂️

So I decided to make my own.
Took all of 3 mins.
Using a spare new bearing I used a 1.5” 60 grit flapper disc/barrel for cordless drill. ID of bearing is 1.4” so had to muscle the barrel flapper in a bit. But once started it took of all of maybe 45-65 secs of sanding to remove just enough to let that bearing sit nicely on the pinion without more than about 3-5 lbs of force to remove it.
Should have done this long time ago. All the YT vids seem to have them working like hours to get it shaved down. Pffft.
This grit takes the metal off like butter.

IMG_2748.JPG

So got the patches looking good.
Ready to reassemble !!!
Psyched !
Oh and the freeze the pinion and heat the bearing works great vs a press.
Hoping my impact gun can deliver the goods for a correct pinion rotational torque. (15 in/lb).

Well. One more headache ??
The carrier pin won’t clear the axles to get thru the opposite end gear. I was able to pound it they with a hammer but removed it as I got frustrated getting the thrust washer lined up on the last inch or so.
My question is if this is semi normal (the tight fit) and my concern is if the axles will grind against the pin!?? Or does the pin just turn with the carrier in sync with the axle(or axles) and it’s not a concern ?
I could grind down axle ends or shave a bit off the pin. Doesn’t seem like either is a good solution.

If the pin turns axiay with the axle(s) then it shouldn’t matter if it’s a really tight fight right ??? 🤷🏻*♂️

Well. One more headache ??
The carrier pin won’t clear the axles to get thru the opposite end gear. I was able to pound it they with a hammer but removed it as I got frustrated getting the thrust washer lined up on the last inch or so.
My question is if this is semi normal (the tight fit) and my concern is if the axles will grind against the pin!?? Or does the pin just turn with the carrier in sync with the axle(or axles) and it’s not a concern ?
I could grind down axle ends or shave a bit off the pin. Doesn’t seem like either is a good solution.

If the pin turns axiay with the axle(s) then it shouldn’t matter if it’s a really tight fight right ??? 🤷🏻*♂️

The pin on the original came out loose and is the same diameter which also has the same problem. The new carrier gears ate one less tooth than the originals but fit fine into the new replacement carriers. Seems the axle with a clip on it doesn’t sit back far enough into the side gears and as such axles stick into the ping too much.

I did find an article about the same issue from 2000. Seems the axles are not seating all the way in the gears although it sure appears that way. Could be the new side gear washers are too thick and one guy says pry the axles outwards. He swears by it. So…..I’ll update later.

To your question on the pin spinning with the carrier and axels.

To your question on the pin spinning with the carrier and axels.

I didn’t see any further on your post other than the one sentence. However. I did shave down the C clips by 15 thousands on each one and pin went in fine. Its all back together now and its running on the 500 mile break in. Finally!!!

Done!!! No noise no clicking no anything!!
Appreciate the advice. Cant say i want to do that again. But i will take a look at the dana 30 front end just to be complete.

Update on the issue of why pin was not right sized. The landing on the new side gears was shallower than the original side gears meaning the C clips wouldn’t seat far enough in the gear so they stuck out enough to prevent the pin from clearing the axle ends.

Back