97 tj. Something snapped in the rear ??

TJS27

Coming home one night I heard a peculiar part break, at least that’s what I thought. Immedialty after I heard what to me was a busted u joint in the rear drive shaft.
Sure sounded like it as it was speed related and very quick similar to the shaft turning.
No problem. I just got around to replacing the u joints and test drive. Same noise as before. It is coming from the rear for sure but I noticed now that if I turn wheel right it gets very loud while turn left(swerving) it goes away. 🤷🏻*♂️
I’m leaning now towards bad rear axle bearing ??
Any thoughts ?
97 4.0 manual. Stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Jack it up on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. Chock the fronts well. Put the trans on neutral and release the parking brake.
Spin the wheels by hand to-determine the location of the noise.

Title is attention grabbing.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Jack it up on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. Chock the fronts well. Put the trans on neutral and release the parking brake.
Spin the wheels by hand to-determine the location of the noise.

Title is attention grabbing.

I’ll try that. I did have it off ground and free wheeling for the ds removal but didn’t notice anything however I wasn’t looking for it per se. I’ll try that again. Seems the sideways force of turning makes it loud and silent the opposite opposing sideways force. And it’s not there 100% of the time but it’s something wrong while in motion.

When turning the axels spin at different rpm. Right turn the left spins faster.
Same for the carrier depending on what you have. The left spiders will turn faster on a tight turn.

When turning the axels spin at different rpm. Right turn the left spins faster.
Same for the carrier depending on what you have. The left spiders will turn faster on a tight turn.

So what part in the diff would create that knocking. It def related to ds speed.
I haven’t tried swerving in N yet. I would think with power train in N might lead to a suspect.
Maybe a busted pinion tooth?

Did you link it to the diff?
Do you have a locker?

Well you could detach the DS at the axel while you have it on stands and spin the wheels to separate shaft from axel.

Just be careful to not pull the shaft out of the transfer case without a catch pan under the transfer case. Some cases will drain fluid when the shaft is out.

Well you could detach the DS at the axel while you have it on stands and spin the wheels to separate shaft from axel.

Just be careful to not pull the shaft out of the transfer case without a catch pan under the transfer case. Some cases will drain fluid when the shaft is out.

Yea I replaced the u joints on R ds already. I didn’t hear anything while spinning wheels off ground but I will again and see if I can find loose axle or other issues. I was convinced it was a u joint but apparently
Not.

I had a shop change a internal axel bearing. They didn’t put any or oil resistant loctite on the stud pin that held the stud in the carrier. The stud slipped out and cracked into pieces when it hit the housing.

At that point I didn’t have a operating rear.

I had a shop change a internal axel bearing. They didn’t put any or oil resistant loctite on the stud pin that held the stud in the carrier. The stud slipped out and cracked into pieces when it hit the housing.

At that point I didn’t have a operating rear.

I’m hoping it’s just a messed up spider.
I haven’t gotten to it yet. But will this week.
It’s drivable just annoying with the noise.
Everything breaks eventually.

Well. Seems some bolt broke and then messed up a couple pinion teeth.
IMG_2619.JPGIMG_2621.JPG
Any idea what bolt could have broken ?

I’m guessing putting force against the carrier when turning right made this teeth really chatter at driveline rotation speed. Whilst turning left force was against the opposite side hence no noise ?

IMG_2623.JPG
I’m guessing it might be two bolts that hold the ring gear on the carrier. The bolts in this picture show two of them that look just like the sheared ones I posted

Back