wiarn 8000 lb winch

Gennybro

Is the winch ample enough for a yj ? Cable or rope , which is the best ? Have a price of 2300 installed. Any thoughts ?

So 94 Yj worst reported stock gross vehicle weight is 3370 lbs. This should be on the vehicle information tag or in the vin number to get your stock. As it varies by sub model.
But if you have altered the vehicle you want to add the weight of the bumpers, tires...
Rule of thumb is winch should be 1.5x the vehicle weight.

Get line weight bags to minimize what the line does when it brakes.
Ill post back a video

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
So 94 Yj worst reported stock gross vehicle weight is 3370 lbs. This should be on the vehicle information tag or in the vin number to get your stock. As it varies by sub model.
But if you have altered the vehicle you want to add the weight of the bumpers, tires...
Rule of thumb is winch should be 1.5x the vehicle weight.

Get line weight bags to minimize what the line does when it brakes.
Ill post back a video

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

So in your opinion is rope as good as cable ?

lots of people like the rope. i never tried it but i never really had a reason to use my winch, either. i ended up taking it off and it sat in the garage for two or three years before i sold it.

you can also get some pulleys to use as doublers and make your 8k winch into, basically, a 16k but with less distance since you used the pulley to come back to your jeep.

Recebtly bought another Winch, my third over the years. I looked at various YouTube videos speaking to rope vs wire. Rope has many advantages, but requires periodic maintenance. Wire works well, no maintenance. I only very occationally use the Winch. I went with wire again.

2006 LJ Rubi with 35" tires, and a bunch of other stuff...

It will be fine. Wire always works. I wouldn't get rope either

Back