Exhaust pipe rattle fix

bradleyheathhays

So I got a new muffler put on at the local discount Mexicano auto shop (learned my lesson) and they rearranged my exhaust so the pipe forward of the muffler sits about 1/2 inch above the transmission support member and now rattles like a mother. Instead of getting the exhaust redone I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper to just get some kind of heat resistant material like maybe a welding blanket and fix between the pipe and support member to cushion the rattle. Anything used it'd have to be ok with being in constant contact with the exhaust.

Found some 'High Temperature Resistant Fiberglass Pads - Heavy Duty Professional Welding Pad' on Amazon described good for soldering, welding or brazing.

Any thoughts on this or suggestion for a better material?

They make header wrap and sleeves.

Be sure the exhaust at the head is tight and not loose or tightened in a rotated position.
When mine loosens the pipe rattles in the oil pan.
Image1634685794.833170.jpg

There are bad mechanics everywhere. There are talented ones too. You could only tell them apart by their work. Because actions are louder than _ _ _ _ _.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

i think you will be better going back and telling them your trouble so they can fix it. those blankets with wear through because they are for radiant heat, not abrasion and wear.

If the muffler is clamped on loosen and readjust. Test the pipe ahead of the muffler whether it can be pulled away from the trans crossmember for more clearance. Check all nearby exhaust hangars and make sure they are secure as the exhaust system shouldn't have excess movement. And as mentioned go back to the shop and don't use the welding blanket.

Back