To 4 wheel or not to 4 wheel...

Jagered

I am not an avid 4X4'er... that is when watching some peeps do those climbs and bogging and twisting over the rocks... HOLY SH!T.
I think I'd sh!t my pants doing some of the stuff I have watched. :D

I do the beach and some wooded runs getting to camp sites. There has to be mods that you all think are ridiculous for the non-hardcore 4X4'er... what are they?
There are some that look nice, can be useful in a pinch (probably never but who knows) and then some that ask why... just why?!?

Cheers!

So are you asking what mods not to do?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

IMO you's only need to make mods based on your use. If it works well stock and the looks work for you- leave it stock. If you have a need/want for a mod - go for it.

Agree... the jeep already had some mods, but then there were a few I thought would be nice, nothing crazy.
IMO you's only need to make mods based on your use. If it works well stock and the looks work for you- leave it stock. If you have a need/want for a mod - go for it.

In a sense... yes.
Not that I would ever do this but I went to a jeep show here locally and the huge a$$ rims with rubber band tires looks absolutely ridiculous on a jeep (or any vehicle). I think it is also funny how people think the scoop intake is a must yet they only use their jeep as a daily commuter?!? Why?
I just figured there were some mods that hardcore jeep-ers would laugh at.

I was gonna do the basics... fix some color matching issues (handles, etc.), after my mom had problems getting in and out I am adding step rails and grab bars, I need brighter light in rear (previous owner put really dark tint on it) so wasn't sure about brighter bulbs or just add a small light bar and then I was looking at performance mods - not that I would get huge gains out of a 3.8l... but some help fuel efficiency and driving, like Cold Air Intake (which most are mass air intakes), the throttle response controller and throttle body spacers - I had these on a V6 monte carlo and got anywhere from a 4 to 8 mpg bump depending on my driving... plus the sucking air noise was different.
Stereo maybe... sound system is already the best installed (just a stock radio with no usb input nor nav screen).

So are you asking what mods not to do?

For me as i work my build, it is all about reliability. If I am not hardcore wheeling but exploring the backcountry, I am less tolerant of breakdowns. And more focused on being able to fix it myself. I.e. less on ground clearance and more about quality work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Big lifts make getting in and out difficult if you don't need the lift.

Rooftop tents are silly. They strand your vehicle, wipe out gas mileage, and are hard to climb into and out if.

You might want to look at com gear such as a radio (cb, gmrs, ham depending on whether you are licensed) and maybe auxiliary battery especially if you run a freezer/fridge.

As far as the odd add-ons, to each their own. I watch full rock crawling rigs tires wear out on my daily ride to work.
Personally I did a 2.5 in lift and larger tires and am happy. You could do a loton stock or a mild lift. I do not go rock crawling or anywhere requiring the big lifts and mac articulation.

I will tell you I wasted a lot of money chasing higher hp and mpg.
Unless you supercharge it the cold air intake, headers and cat back do nothing. The computer relearns them in 500 mi and you are back to what you had.
I haven’t heArd of anyone benefiting from computer mods or chips. I recommend lots of research.
Mpg recommendations: tire pressure. Alignment, balanced tires. Reduce weight of vehicle. Don’t cary what you don’t need. Plus likely to be stolen.
Larger tires reduce mpg.
Tune, healthy battery, proper alternator for loads. Any load removed from the engine increases mpg. Clutch fan, AC units, excessive current draw. Do not block the radiator with blackouts or grills. Even a wench will restrict radiator cooling and load engine.
Then driving habits. Its not a race car. Slow pullouts, coast to stop, keep it at or under 65 mph. Above 35 natural rad cooling.

For rear lights try lining the inside of the housing with white reflective tape. It made a difference for me. If you go to LED you will need to change the relay to slow the blinkers. I added backup lights just above the bumper. Best investment for soft tops and kids bicycles/toys in the driveway.

Factory steps are nice. Tube steps rot. Had them on a pickup. Looked great but rotted in a few years. Also, There are retractable steps if you have the budget.

Donts?

Don’t lift unless you need to. Above 2.5 in the cost goes up with all the other needed components.

Light bars esp above the windshield. Bad mpg and glare from the windshield.

I personally do not like the angry grills. But as long as its not blocking the airflow.

Speakers. Even if you do not buy a head unit get some high sensitivity speakers. I put 3way snd 4 way speakers 93 sensitivity on the stock head unit snd was happy for some time.

Thanks for all the input!
My line of thinking was pretty much dead on with you all...

- No need for a lift, not even sure if the previous owner added one or not (I have to investigate).
- Angry eyes are definitely gay.
- Have to check on speakers... it has the full array including an all weather sub in the back. Found the dang usb port in the center console (smdh) so don't really see the need to upgrade the stereo.
- Dislike the windshield LED bar also... already has upgraded LED lights on bumper.
- I did put some aluminum rails on so only thing that can rust away is the hardware.
- Had to get grab-bars as everyone complained about how hard it was to get in... short people, it's not really that bad for me.
- I did do the CAI and throttle response module... had 19.3MPG before and then with same speed and road (highway at about 65-70) got up to 23MPG... however I did top off the tires a little since the cold air dropped pressure a bit. I'm happy with that.
- STORAGE ... I did get one of those under-the-seat lock boxes.

Other than that, chasing a few mystery rattles, need to figure out how to put a license plate on the front bumper (any suggestions?) and have a couple holes in the cross bar (where the top speakers are) that look like they have a welded nut up inside where something attaches... there are gouge marks from where a washer seems to have been but can't figure out what would have been installed?!

Cheers!

Check you mpg >500 miles. The PCM relearns the cai and compenates.

19.3 mpg is great. How did you calculate this?
Was it full tank to empty gallons used divided into miles driven?
Is your speedometer/odometer correct?

Post pic of the holes and locations.

Just learned a few more details today, still clueless, but have a thought...
I had Tee-Tops off today (youngest loves the Jeep) and noticed what's in the pic(s).
Is there some kind of lock supposed to be on the inside for the top? Would make sense...
What is the black molded piece in the last pic where you can see the nut welded onto the top? It folds down... of course dealer had no info for me after I went back and asked WTF?!

I also found out the hard way that the previous owner removed the door lock nuts on the bottom and left them out... oy vey!
Used vehicle so expects a bunch of wtf's.
Thanks!

Post pic of the holes and locations.

jeep5.jpgjeep6.jpgjeep7.jpg

Nothing super crazy... just got moving and reset the MPG's on each trip.
I have seen MPG's go way up and then down and of course it is figuring everything out not inputting the terrain... so it all 'equals out' in the end.
I tried to get the most flat straight run to test it.

Check you mpg >500 miles. The PCM relearns the cai and compenates.

19.3 mpg is great. How did you calculate this?
Was it full tank to empty gallons used divided into miles driven?
Is your speedometer/odometer correct?

FWIW. Durring my move I drove 525 mi to and 525 from home each weekend until we moved into a new home. This was 2 fill ups each direction.
I learned what Iwrote above. Terrain matters some but not more than 1 or so mpg. Tire pressure matters, alignment and staying at or below 65mph matters a lot. Every time you go over 65 mpg really drops.
Idk it must have to fo with drag of pushing a brick through air.
Even %ethanol matters on these low compression engines.
Anyway full to empty is important. Short trips and refill causes variation. That 0.1gal you squeeze in has a bigger impact on low miles.
For example 0.1 gal on 50 mi fill is ~3% lower mpg and gets worse as mi driven is lower. And you usually could squeeze more than 0.1 gal in there.

As asked above, are you calculating the mpg at the gas pump or relying on the readout on the dash? I don't know about other jeeps but my JK always shows better mpg on the dash than what I get at the gas pump, usually 1-3 mpg more on the dash. Me thinks it's propaganda to make jeep owners think they are getting better mpg than they really are.

Image1636484728.952584.jpg

They should have come with the jeep. Look in a parts diagram. Also check your owners manual.

They should have come with the jeep. Look in a parts diagram. Also check your owners manual.

Thanks... but I think the dealer is going to nickle and dime me on stuff like this since it was a preowned vehicle.
No worries... they are cheap enough.
Thanks!

Back