New Brakes

JaredHB

Hey guys my Jeep pulls pretty hard when braking now and I’m gonna swap out my brakes. I’m not sure what is on them right now. What is a good set I should get for front and rear. I have 35” tires on my Jeep. I don’t want to spend $1500 on big brake kits though so what’s the best in your guys opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I was looking into this as well... a quick Google search can get you started, but I'd be curious to know what the group here has for better input.
I added a nice set of slotted/grooved rotors and ceramic pads to my Tucson and was very pleased with them. Less than $300 on line for a full set.
1) Power Stop Big Brake Kit for Jeep JK
2) Power Stop K2798
3) Brake Rotors Kit by R1 Concepts
4) Detroit Axle
️Best Brake Rotors for Jeep 2021 [Review & Buyer's Guide]

OOOOOOOOF!
That first item is $1,100 on Amazon... but includes calipers. Wow... $355 without calipers, doable.

Last edited:

What is your current brake situation? Disc from and drum rear, all drum, or all disc?

My 2002 Wrangler was fitted OEM with disc front and drum rear. Looking at the pad and disc wear over time, it was clear that the front brakes were doing most of the braking work. Sure, this is to be expected, but it seemed to be more than the 60/40 one would expect.

Anyway, going to larger tires seemed to be the cause. So I went with an aftermarket slotted rotor and performance pads, and that seemed to improve braking performance. I looked into disc conversions for the rear, but in reading up on them, it seemed like many reviews were suggesting the performance improvement was pretty nominal.

I believe this was the pads and rotors I ended up using: Crown Automotive RT31012 Performance Front Disc Brake Service Kit for 99-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ and 99-01 Cherokee XJ | Quadratec

What is your current brake situation? Disc from and drum rear, all drum, or all disc?

My 2002 Wrangler was fitted OEM with disc front and drum rear. Looking at the pad and disc wear over time, it was clear that the front brakes were doing most of the braking work. Sure, this is to be expected, but it seemed to be more than the 60/40 one would expect.

Anyway, going to larger tires seemed to be the cause. So I went with an aftermarket slotted rotor and performance pads, and that seemed to improve braking performance. I looked into disc conversions for the rear, but in reading up on them, it seemed like many reviews were suggesting the performance improvement was pretty nominal.

I believe this was the pads and rotors I ended up using: Crown Automotive RT31012 Performance Front Disc Brake Service Kit for 99-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ and 99-01 Cherokee XJ | Quadratec

Honestly I don’t know what’s on my Jeep lol I gotta take my tires off. I upgraded so much stuff and forgot about my brakes which are the ones that I got with the car 5 years ago.

I was looking into this as well... a quick Google search can get you started, but I'd be curious to know what the group here has for better input.
I added a nice set of slotted/grooved rotors and ceramic pads to my Tucson and was very pleased with them. Less than $300 on line for a full set.
1) Power Stop Big Brake Kit for Jeep JK
2) Power Stop K2798
3) Brake Rotors Kit by R1 Concepts
4) Detroit Axle
️Best Brake Rotors for Jeep 2021 [Review & Buyer's Guide]

OOOOOOOOF!
That first item is $1,100 on Amazon... but includes calipers. Wow... $355 without calipers, doable.

Do you know what sized rotors I’d need to get?? I can’t find anything that says I have a 2010 jk wrangler

I've found that slotted / drilled, or standard rotors don't seem to make much difference either way. As long as they are quality rotors you're good. I've had luck with both centric rotors and power stop.

For pads, I've used power stop (budget), as well as EBC yellow stuff, and liked both. I hear lots of good stuff about black magic as well.

When I ran centric rotors with EBC yellow stuff pads, and it stopped well (33 inch tires).
I currently run powerstop rotors and pads, and it works well (not as good as centric / EBC), but was super cheap (amazon warehouse deal).

I'd replace the brakes and pads in the front, and reassess after that.

You can't upgrade to a larger rotor without changing your calipers. You'll also need to verify your wheels are large enough to clear your new brake gear. Just order the rotor for your year wrangler.

Looking at the pad and disc wear over time, it was clear that the front brakes were doing most of the braking work. Sure, this is to be expected, but it seemed to be more than the 60/40 one would expect.

I had to replace the rear pads on my JK at 55k, they were completely gone. I replaced the front pads at 70k because I had to replace the calipers - they still had life in them. It seems for some reason the braking system on jeeps wears different than other vehicles.

Ultimately should I get Slotted rotors with performance pads?

Slotted and drilled do not stop you better. They are better if you brake consistently. The slots allow pads to be swept clean and more air passing by to help cool. Same with drilling. More air.
Solid has more surface area therefore more resistance in the pad area. It will generate more heat in high breaking driving.

So it is really up to your use and drive style.

I used slotted and dimpled rotors when i lived on top of a hill with a 840 ft drop and >30% grade. I drove down it twice a day.
Brakes would be red hot at the bottom. I was leery of overheating the brake fluid and brake fade. So I ran slotted and dimpled on 33x9.5 r15 at tires. Not as heavy as 35’s but more than stock.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Slotted and drilled do not stop you better. They are better if you brake consistently. The slots allow pads to be swept clean and more air passing by to help cool. Same with drilling. More air.
Solid has more surface area therefore more resistance in the pad area. It will generate more heat in high breaking driving.

So it is really up to your use and drive style.

I used slotted and dimpled rotors when i lived on top of a hill with a 840 ft drop and >30% grade. I drove down it twice a day.
Brakes would be red hot at the bottom. I was leery of overheating the brake fluid and brake fade. So I ran slotted and dimpled on 33x9.5 r15 at tires. Not as heavy as 35’s but more than stock.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I guess I wouldn’t need that I live in south Texas it’s probably the flattest part of the world

Back