Leaky pinion

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I had originally thought my diff cover was leaking however now it appears it's the pinion. It going to try replacing the seal myself this weekend.

I'm open to any tips you all have. From the videos I've watched, you just pull the driveshaft, replace the seal, then put things back together the same way (number of threads showing) as you took them off.

IMG_20211124_171555753.jpeg

IMG_20211124_171552777.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

I had originally thought my diff cover was leaking however now it appears it's the pinion. It going to try replacing the seal myself this weekend.

I'm open to any tips you all have. From the videos I've watched, you just pull the driveshaft, replace the seal, then put things back together the same way (number of threads showing) as you took them off.

View attachment 24714

View attachment 24715

That would be correct from what I’ve seen too.
Be sure to mark shaft and yoke so they go back together the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

If it is not making a mess of the driveway or undercarriage, consider just topping off the differential and leaving it as is. If the seep becomes a drip, that is the time to fix it.

It took some work but I was able to do it. Cost about $8 for the seal and another eight for the gear lube.

The hardest part by far was getting the yolk separated from the shaft. After banging on it fairly gently with a hammer I ended up using half of a coil spring compressor. It came off easily once I had done that.

All in all I'm very happy with it.

IMG_20211127_144020380.jpeg

IMG_20211127_150129792.jpeg

IMG_20211128_084207745.jpeg

Last edited:
Back