clutch not acting right

Gennybro

At a traffic light I had the jeep in neutral. The light changed to green , I pressed in the clutch pedal it would not go into 1 st gear. I went for second gear and it engaged. The clutch pedal seemed to be a little lower to the floor then usual, got home with no issues. Later that day I went to start the jeep, had it in first gear, clutch pedal to the floor, tranny in first gear. Went to start it and the jeep started to move forward, so the clutch was not working. Instead of it being the clutch, could it be a bad slave cylinder. Got a price from a garage of 900 dollars to replace the clutch. I'm hoping that it.s not that. 94 wrangler, 6 cyl, 5 speed.

Oh man, 900 is crazy!!!

Google testing clutch slave cylinder and then Google testing clutch master cylinder and do the tests. I think generally people like to change them in pairs but if you have an internal slave cylinder, that could be tough.

I don't know if you have an internal or external but if you find out it's an external slave, you are good to go on changing them easily

So if the clutch goes bad gears slip. Here you are stuck in gear. On the slave cylinder there is a teflon tip that pushes the clutch fork. If it wears or missing the fork doesn’t go in far enough.

Also the slave cylinder may only need bleeding.
Siphon out old fluid. Refill and pump the pedal fast 20-30 times. Even dump it a few times. You could repeat again. Then see if you have pedal.
You could buy the slave and master preloaded.
I changed my slave and master in 45 min in the driveway. That included wiping the tools and putting them back.

1994 JEEP WRANGLER 4.0L L6 Clutch Master & Slave Cylinder Assembly | RockAuto

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Ok , cool, thanks for the feed back. Gonna check it out over the holidays. Merry Christmas YA'LL

you too! hope it works out easily and you end up having an easy fill and pump job

Good luck!

Up date on the garage that wanted 900 dollars to install a clutch. I went and purchased the master and slave for the clutch at auto zone for 175 dollars since I dont think it's the clutch that is bad. I called the garage and told them I just wanted the master and slave installed and I had the parts. Their reaction was that they dont install parts from other places, they have to get the parts. So I said ok, figure up a cost and get back to me. [one less job I have to do] A little while later they called back and gave me a price of 480 dollars to do the job. I asked what was the price of the parts ? They told me 280 dollars, I'm like that's a 100 dollar mark up on the price of the parts. So they would be charging me 200 dollars for an hours labor. I just said have a nice day. So I'll be doing it myself. I just wanted to see their response to the situation. I dont trust garages, they just reinforced that feeling.

The swap really isn’t difficult. The hardest part is reaching up under the dash to loosen the master and reconnecting the pedal. It wasn’t bad just awkward.

Sometimes garages overprice cause they don’t want the job. To get a feel on the price NAPA and others have a repair estimator.

For my vehicle it estimated 190-260 total. Labor was 60-75
For yours it was closer to 500. Parts were 307
Might be assuming internal slave cylinder.
Or they know you too.. HeHe.

Merry Christmas.

FWIW rock auto 116 for slave and master prefilled.

Jeep clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder replacement: Jeep Wrangler YJ - YouTube

Last edited:

I purchased the parts for 175 dollars from auto zone, where did you get a parts price of 307 dollars?

Rock auto was 116
Using the NAPA app it estimated 307. I don’t know where the data comes from but it is fairly accurate on total cost of repair for your zipcode.

Back