*click*

Jagered

And here we go again... eff me I just gotnthis thing the end of October.
Before I take this back to the dealer for another diagnosis/repair... what would cause the tyranny to 'click' when I put it in reverse? It's a seriously odd and abnormally loud click noise...

Also... every time I come to a stop and then start to accelerate again, there is another click-like noise and it reminds me of a gear slip that has too much play. Like it drops back and then when you accelerate you here it smack the gear again.

Was gonna jack'er up and play with the driveshaft and check the u-joints for play. I did the front just on the ground trying to see if anything was obvious - was almost 50F so why not! What is under the boot on the shaft? There is play there..
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Just one click?

Is it the same as your earlier thread? Engine click?

The bellow looking rubber boot covers where one section slides into the other section. It to allow expansion when articulating.

The other rubber boot is on the CV joint. If the joint it bad it will click and clack.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
No not same sound... it seems like the tyranny is clicking when it is selecting reverse. I don't know a lot about transmissions so unsure how it does it. Now the engine, I can work on that!
Thanks

So how cold is it? Does it only do it when cold?
How does your tranny fluid look?

In my nsg370 the stock fluid would be like honey in the winter often popping out of first until warmed up. No noise though.

Tranny fluid good.
It's done it on 60F days and 25F days...

I'm gonna try recording it with my gopro and then upload - eventually.

Ok so spending a day playing hookie from work and putting my leveling kit on the front...
NOISE... I have tires off with axle supported and when turning the shaft back and forth there appears to be a 'tinging' or 'dinging' noise, like a bell ringing, coming from the front differential.

Shouldn't the gears be partially submerged in gear oil??? And assuming the oil in there would prevent the bell noise?!?

Phook me...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Jeepz.com mobile app

Ok so spending a day playing hookie from work and putting my leveling kit on the front...
NOISE... I have tires off with axle supported and when turning the shaft back and forth there appears to be a 'tinging' or 'dinging' noise, like a bell ringing, coming from the front differential.

Shouldn't the gears be partially submerged in gear oil??? And assuming the oil in there would prevent the bell noise?!?

Phook me...

Stock carrier or aftermarket locker?

A sphincter says what?

Sorry... I am such a newbie when it comes to this crap. I've done so much work on non-Jeep vehicles that I feel like when I start trying to work on this thing I feel like such a prude?!?!

Dang... Jeeps really are their own beasts!

Your bells being rung when the shaft is turned. You said it is coming from the front differential.
Im asking if the insides of the front differential is stock or some aftermarket setup.

The shaft is connected to the pinion gear inside the differential. The pinion drives the ring gear.
Inside the differential is the ring gear mounted on a carrier. The carrier has moving parts. And is attached to the axels that…. go to the wheels.
There are different types of carriers. Some may normally have a ding??

Is it loud?

Does anything wiggle or move when twisting the shaft? U joints? Yolk from the transfer case, pinion input gasket???

Back