Noticed my fan was hitting the bottom of the shroud

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Jeep sounded pretty nasty, and it kept getting worse. I eventually noticed that the fan was making contact with the plastic shroud. I spent some time planning out how to lower the shroud, before I finally thought "why did the fan move"? It turns out that my 11 year old engine mounts had finally given out. About $35 later, I've got new rubber bushings for my Brown Dog mounts, and I'm back in business.

A bit hard to notice how worn out they are while in the Jeep, but easy to tell once removed. The passenger side was much worse than the drivers.

IMG_20220203_153055011.jpeg

IMG_20220203_153105581.jpeg

IMG_20220203_153146989.jpeg

IMG_20220203_165338531_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto g stylus using Jeepz.com mobile app

Before the fan hitting didn’t you notice any hood or front end torque when you stepped on it?

Long ago we had a Pontiac 440 with a bad engine mount. Just tapping the gas in park would torque the front end.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I thought that was just raw Chrysler power!

Truth be told, I filled up my Jeep for the first time in 2 months this week. I just haven't been putting the miles on it. It's easy to miss things like this when you don't drive it too often.

man, those mounts are sagging bad. imagine if you had the stock mounts in, that engine would have been banging the oil filter on stuff

You're right. I've got a 1.5 inch body lift, with a 2" motor mount lift. There's not much distance between the bottom of the fan and the shroud.

Back