YJ or TJ ?

Gloks4all

Having had 2 TJ's previously, and looking for another wrangler, I've noticed several YJ's locally for sale , thoughts on going with the YJ instead? Thanks for input..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Jeepz.com mobile app

I’ve owned a YJ TJ and a JK. The YJ was a 4cyl and I loved it. It would crawl up any mountain. The inside was much more basic than the TJ that I had. Some people don’t care for the square headlights that a YJ has, they are cheaper to replace. It really comes down to what you prefer. In-line 6 motor is what I would look for it any have them. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

the tj rides a lot nicer than the yj, thats for sure. and i had old man emu springs and shocks on my yj and it still was a rough rider. the tj is a Cadillac compared to the yj.

if you are not a fan of carburetors, go with a 91 or newer yj 4.0.

I'd go fuel injected either way.

I've had CJs, YJs, and a TJ. They all ride terrible, but the YJs ride more terrible than the TJs (and the CJs are the most-est terrible).
If it's a toy that you'll chop up the fenders and beat in the mud, then get the YJ.

IMO, you should sell a kidney or two, and get an LJ.

Agree with above. TJ and JK get bad DW eventually.
The LJ length makes a huge difference in stability and ride.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Get one of each! Lol! I have a CJ, JK and JL. I’m one of those that prefer the traditional round headlights so I’d say the tj. Fuel injection is nice for sure, converted my CJ amc304 to multipoint fuel injection and love it!

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

Thanks to all for advice, this would be my DD so something not too crazy buildwise, 33's and a 4inch ?, never had the 4cyl, so clueless about those,prefer a soft top and full doors..would a 4cyl run 33's if regeared? Hope everyone is doing well on this fine Saturday

Sent from my SM-G991U using Jeepz.com mobile app

I've got a TJ with 2.5 inch suspension lift , a 1.5 inch body lift and 33s.

A 4 banger will push 33s with a regear, but you loose the top speed on the freeway. I'd also note that if you're not doing the regear yourself, the cost of the regear may be the same as the difference in price between 4 and 6 cyl.

I've had a 92' YJ, 05' TJ Rubi, and now a 06' LJ Rubi. Much depends on your goals. If street driven much, the TJ/LJ are definitely better.

6 cylinder in any case.
Fuel injected if a YJ.

I had a 91 yj, 4cyl. With 33x 12.5 tires, On the trails it was nice, on the highway a dog. Going up a paved mountain road full throttle, 25 mph.

Back