Mirrors

ZBTstang

My outside mirrors on my TJ had completely flaked off all the paint. Since they werent to expensive I decided to order a new set instead of painting the new ones and having them look crappy.
Just wanted to ask if there were any tricks to taking the old mirrors off, and putting the new ones on? Will I crack the paint on the jeep?? Anything else I should know.[addsig]

shouldn"t be any trick...most I've seen have a gasket in between the braket and the body..............mine are also flaking, but a little bird suggested something to me in the way of Rhino lining....hmmmmmmmmmm

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Place the proper sized
Torx bit on the three screws,
apply force and undo, the gasket
seperates the mirror from the door.

I used a $2 can of 'undercarriage
rubber coating,,, a 3m scotchbrite
pad and 5 light coats and saved
almost $90 for my lift,,,,
after the trail,,, a shot of 'paint'
on new wounds,, goes along way.

Glad to see you upgrading, hope
this is an alternative for those that
can't afford the cash outlay.. right now.

[addsig]

Both, sort of! The mirror itself is glass obviously, and the housing in plastic. The part the attatches to the door and the extension are are metal sort of, it is a alloy that when moisture is intorduced to the metal, instead of rust as a by-product it produces a white powdery oxidation that can spread like cancer. You can sand blast or bead blast them and re powder coat, but They would just buble and peel again. save some time and head ache and sand and krylon paint as needed. I do mine once a year and looks pretty good![addsig]

Thanks for the advice, now I just have to buy a torx wrench set. Didnt even know a torx wrench exsisted before this.
Now that im outta school and working in the real world, no more broke college boy, ill be upgrading quite frequently[addsig]

Back