'16 JKU 3.6l burning oil....

Jagered

So I set up an appointment to get the Jeep checked out at the dealer... I've had it since Oct'21. Had about 98k miles when I get it and I did an immediate oil/filter change just to get oil in it that I knew.
It's at 101,300 now... started noticing some power issues and sputtering while riding about 25-35mph. Got home... checked oil... WTF?!?!

It burned through 2.5-3 quarts of oil?!? (That's about what I added to get it clearly visible on dip stick)

The dealer just did a valve/lifter job due to some serious tapping and there has been zero oil under it in our driveway. That seems like A LOT of oil to burn through in only 3500 miles!!! Doesn't it?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

PIC: It was not visible on the hashed part of the dip stick but the bottom nub had oil on it. 20220318_153554.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S906U using Jeepz.com mobile app

I have a 2014 with 96k and mine doesn’t burn any oil. A problem I did have was with my oil cooler. It sits on top of the block between the valve covers. The seals go bad on it and oil will leak out and fill up the area it sits in. Mine didn’t leak any on the ground but would slowly leak as it was running and covered the underside of my Jeep I only noticed it because the trailer I was pulling was covered with oil. Did your oil pressure light turn on to let you know you were low or just the power loss?

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Check your plugs. That should tell you if you are burning it.
Also be sure the vehicle rested for 1/2 hr before checking and adding oil.

I made the mistake of not letting it settle and overfilled.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
My 2010 JK has been using oil since around 60k. Not a lot but sometimes needs a quart between changes. It's been well maintained with regular oil changes at 35k intervals. IMO it's a lack of quality control at Chrysler.

Funny you brought this up because a guy was just telling me about how the newer wranglers burn oil and he is glad his is an 07.

I have no ideas but just was commenting since I had just heard something about it

My 2010 JK has been using oil since around 60k. Not a lot but sometimes needs a quart between changes. It's been well maintained with regular oil changes at 35k intervals. IMO it's a lack of quality control at Chrysler.

35 k oil changes???

Do a compression test to tell if it’s bad rings.
If you check again after 2tbl spoons of transmission atf oil in each cylinder and it reads a lot higher then you may have caked up rings.
If this is the case, there are a few things you could try to free up the rings.

Also check your intake. PCV valves allow oil to get sucked into the intake.

New motors are not built with tight rings and tight piston to bore tolerances. So blow by can be an issue. Also the simple does your oil smell like gas test.

Last edited:

Little more searching and there are threads about the rings being installed wrong from a mfg assembly plant in Mexico. You could check the back of the engine for the stamp.
T = usa
S = Mexico

Last edited:
Back