Where is this oil coming from?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I recently changed my rear main seal, so I had the oil pan removed. Before that, my jeep dripped a fair amount of oil from several locations (hard to tell with my oil pan skid plate). Now that the rear main is changed, my oil drips are fewer, however this is one that is perplexing me.

I see oil on the boot on my front driveshaft - it would appear that it is dripping from higher up and landing on the boot before dropping onto the floor. Here is a photo looking up from under the Jeep

oil_drips.jpg

I've wiped away the drips, but they seem to always come back. Any thoughts on where they could be coming from? Maybe a leaky valve cover?

Thats your intake manifold but there is no oil in there. The runners lead back near the valve cover.
The ccv tubes are above there.

Take part cleaner and clean up all the oil off of the engine. Then start it and let it warm up. Shut down and look for leaks

Is it brown or red? In front of there is your power steering pump.
The fan will blow it back.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

i was wondering if it was being blown from the front somewhere since that is the bottom of the intake.

I hadn't really thought that the fan would blow the oil back - makes sense.
I'll check my power steering levels, however it really does look like dirty oil.

Actually are you missing a hose on the shiny line with the bump/barb next to the steering shaft? Edit. Nvm Thats a gas line on my jeep.

Stuff looks baked on.

IMG_3525.JPG

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Terry,
When you had the pan off to replace the rear seal, did you do a fore and aft movement dimension check of the crank?
On my 2004, when I did the main seal, at about 175000 miles I found the Thrust Bearing (#3) almost worn through on the rear side. Indicating the crank was moving forward. Causing the rear seal to leak. No one has been able to clearly tell me why the crank would have forward pressure on it. Some say the Transmission can over pressurize causing pressure onto the Torque Converter. Others have said hogwash!
I was able to replace the main bearings with the Oil Pan removed. I now have a new Crank and Bearings in the garage ready to go!!

No, I didn't do anything like that.
Honestly, I'm learning as I go here - I had never had that much of the engine apart before. I may have to do more research into what you describe though.

thats called crank walk and when the engine is being built, you have to measure the end play (fore/aft movement) and put shims in place to keep it within spec. other wise, as noted, it rides against stuff and starts slowly eating through seals and stuff.

i cannot remember what lets the crank move for and aft while in a rotational state. maybe just accelerating and decelerating? since the combustion forces are pushing down, its not like a turbine engine where air is moving it forward so i can only imagine its accelerating the vehicle and slowing the vehicle. but i know its really common to have crank walk and seals worn in air cooled vw engines if you don't specifically measure and shim the crank against the case and get the oil slinger in place properly.

Back