New JKU Owner Questions

UKChris

Glad to find the forum, I’m in the process of buying a 2011 JKU and have started thinking about a few things I’d appreciate advice on if anyone is willing.

1. Jeep has a hard top, no soft, it’ll be garaged but I aim to have the hard too off for the summer in the NE. I’m looking for adverse weather protection, maybe a tonneau style cover for the back and some form of bikini/rear panel. There seem to be a few out there, many out of stock, I’d appreciate recommendations mainly for something you can put in quickly if caught in a sudden shower/storm.

2. Doors - not right now but curious about alternate doors, a long while ago I had a Jeep with half doors I liked, what do you good folks do in the summer?

3. Dash - a previous owner had a dog that scratched up the dash on the passenger side. Debating whether to leave it, replace it or maybe cover it with say a non-slip mat, and thoughts/ideas very welcome.

4. Insurance - when I went to add it to my Progressive policy it asks if the suspension is modified, it has a 2” lift but I said no (for now) - they want me to call them, how concerned should I be?

5. It has an Alpine i209 installed, I want wireless CarPlay - I’ve ordered an adaptor from Amazon to try (can return) - anyone gone wireless with an i209?

Excited to get back into a Jeep and very much appreciate any thoughts/comments.

Chris

welcome!

i always ran a bikini top on mine when it was not winter because i don't like to be sunburned. i never ran cover over the back though. i have seen them and they look nice but i never had one.

any soft top is about the same time to install under an overpass when rain shows up. and unless its got side windows and a back window, all the rain will get sucked back onto the inside surface of the windshield if you drive more then around the neighborhood in the rain. i would say get a duster to put up if you are going to run a bikini top so it keeps the water off the dash and radio when its raining.

i had full doors, soft full, and soft half. i ended up getting rid of all but the full hard doors because if its nice enough to run without hard doors, its nice enough to run with no doors. i never had half hard doors but i imagine its the same.

i would put a dash mat on the dash if it bothered me. they velcro down to not blow off but i am not sure how well they stay on at highway speeds with no top or back window.

welcome!

i always ran a bikini top on mine when it was not winter because i don't like to be sunburned. i never ran cover over the back though. i have seen them and they look nice but i never had one.

any soft top is about the same time to install under an overpass when rain shows up. and unless its got side windows and a back window, all the rain will get sucked back onto the inside surface of the windshield if you drive more then around the neighborhood in the rain. i would say get a duster to put up if you are going to run a bikini top so it keeps the water off the dash and radio when its raining.

i had full doors, soft full, and soft half. i ended up getting rid of all but the full hard doors because if its nice enough to run without hard doors, its nice enough to run with no doors. i never had half hard doors but i imagine its the same.

i would put a dash mat on the dash if it bothered me. they velcro down to not blow off but i am not sure how well they stay on at highway speeds with no top or back window.

I think if I'm more than a few miles from home I'd have doors on mostly so it's more about the top/back - do you mind me asking which bikini you had? I've been looking around and there seem to be so many and such a broad range of prices - let alone very little availability.

I have had smittybuilt, bestop and pavement ends and all were basically the same to me. They didn't come apart or fade or anything weird.

My favorite bikini/soft top was a softopper though

I agree with the above

I have a tj unlimited and soft top. I ran a safari bikini top. The bikini mounts yo the roll bar. The rain still comes on the sides. And if you drive it will suck into the back of the windshield.
Keeping the defrost on high helps but sometimes fogs the windshield. They make a full top that rides on top of the roll age. Trek top i think

Same with 1/2 door or no door.

I am happy with what i have Bestop

Tube doors, various covered tube doors, Bestop canvas doors.
Many rattle or are costly because they don’t.

Radio needs check crutchfield.

Dash you could paint but check first its not an airbag.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back