Ball and U joint press

mikeswillys

So I have a 2014 wrangler that will randomly give me a knock when I’m making a sharp turn. I’m guessing the joints in the axle are starting to go bad at 97k. So I am looking to replace all the u joints on the axles and DS along with ball joints. I will probably replace the wheel bearings while I’m in there. I am looking for a decent press that will do both jobs. Also I am looking for any input on what brands to go with or stay away from. Right now everything in my suspension is stock except for new shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I've never used a press for the driveshafts or axles, since you can take them off the Jeep and work on a bench, I usually use two sockets (a big one to receive the cup, and a smaller one to pound it out). There are some photos here:
Jeep front driveshaft (CV / dual cardan) rebuild

As to the ball joints, I go to Advance Auto Parts and borrow their tools. They have a loaner program where you pay the price of the tool, then get a full refund when you bring it back. It's not hard to remove them, but I usually have to spend a while figuring out which cups and parts to use to get everything out and in again.

I generally use Spicer for ujoints - they are considered good.
For wheel bearnings, I think Timkin is probably the best.

So I have a 2014 wrangler that will randomly give me a knock when I’m making a sharp turn. I’m guessing the joints in the axle are starting to go bad at 97k. So I am looking to replace all the u joints on the axles and DS along with ball joints. I will probably replace the wheel bearings while I’m in there. I am looking for a decent press that will do both jobs. Also I am looking for any input on what brands to go with or stay away from. Right now everything in my suspension is stock except for new shocks.

Check your sway bar end links. They will give a weird knock.
Personally I wouldnt fix what is not broken.

You could do Various checks for ball joints and for u-joints.

Agree with manufacturers mentioned above.timken and spicer.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
If I was just using this as a dd I would probably wait on things to break. I am trying to hit more trails and since this thing is 8 years old and has been driven across country twice and wheeled so much I want to reduce the risk of breaks on the trails. I’ve had issues with my sway bar making sounds before so that may be the culprit. I will check that out tomorrow. Thank you.

Back