Is it my clutch??

JaredHB

In my 2010 wrangler jk(manual). Recently when I shift and accelerate my Jeep rumbles loses power for a second then picks up as normal until I shift again. The rumble doesn’t happen when starting on first and doesn’t happen when going from 1-2nd but 3-6 does it. I initially thought it was my clutch due to it sort of feeling like a slip as it almost feels like stalling but today I tested it where I let off the gas let myself lose some rpm’s without downshifting and then reaccelerating without losing too many rpm’s and it did the rumble with loss of power then resumed like normal since I tested this I am at a loss with my knowledge of vehicles as what it might be

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

When a clutch is slipping the engine speed will accelerate but the vehicle will not - at least not as much as the engine speed does.

Agree^
If your clutch slips the engine rpm increase but your speed doesnt.
The rumble you describe sounds like you may be shifting early.
And you are lugging the engine. That over time will damage the engine and clutch.

What engine, trans, gearing and tire size do you have?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

to test if the clutch is good, what my dad taught me and i have always used is to come to a full stop, shift it 3rd, 4th, or 5th, and let the clutch out really slowly. if it stays running, or doesn't die very quickly, then the clutch is in need of replacement. if the engine dies as soon as you feel it starting to engage, than the clutch is good.

try it out and you will see what i mean. its hard to write out what to look and feel for but if you try it out, you will see

Agree^
If your clutch slips the engine rpm increase but your speed doesnt.
The rumble you describe sounds like you may be shifting early.
And you are lugging the engine. That over time will damage the engine and clutch.

What engine, trans, gearing and tire size do you have?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I’m driving a 3.8 v6 with a 6 speed manual the engine itself doesn’t and the clutch only have 35k miles on it as it was replaced 2 summers ago now. I agree the rumble does sound like a premature shift but I haven’t change the way I drive at all when it started

to test if the clutch is good, what my dad taught me and i have always used is to come to a full stop, shift it 3rd, 4th, or 5th, and let the clutch out really slowly. if it stays running, or doesn't die very quickly, then the clutch is in need of replacement. if the engine dies as soon as you feel it starting to engage, than the clutch is good.

Just did it. I can almost get my foot fully off the clutch so prob needs replaced

Back