Engine is going bad, what options for replacement?

Joesmith

So I have an 07 wrangler with a 3.8 v6
the engine is going, and I am going to need to replace it.
if I can not find a direct replacement, what other options do I have for engines that will bolt up to the tranny and that the pcm and wiring harness won’t be an issue?

motor mounts are not an issue because I can build those, I just don’t know what other engines will jump in there easily.
I don’t know jack about pcm’s or the engine wiring harness.

Last edited:

Why not rebuild the 3.8? That will save all the conversion headaches.

Couple of reasons,
1) I’m not confident in my ability to rebuild it.
2) I can’t have the vehicle down while I learn to rebuild it, so it would be faster if I can just drop in a replacement.

I would probably rebuild it in my spare time, after the replacement

No dodge engines are the same? When i had a liberty, the dakota used the same engine

OP:
There are many places that sell refurbished or rebuilt long and short blocks, especially the 3.8L minivan engine used in the early generations of the JK/JKU/JKUR chassis from 2007-2011.

There are shops out there that will procure a used or remanufactured engine and swap it out in a day or two if arranged or scheduled in advance and ahead of time in most areas of the country.

Here in So. Cal for example, there are at least two or three salvage yards that have 5 or 6 of these engines pulled and ready for purchase to swap in. You can get them with or without accessories attached as your cost will vary depending on what the motor comes with and the mileage it had on the clock.

On the other hand there are several companies that specialize in used pulls and several more that specialize in reman engines. Companies like Jasper for example have remans ready and even include warranties on their remans.

I am not suggesting or representing any one company but there are ways to get an engine relatively fast for the swap unless maybe you lived in the most rural small community in BFE, I think you can find a shop and get an engine for the swap to be done in a timely manner of under a week even if they were painfully slow doing it.

There are many shops that are highly regarded if you want to travel to another state and visit one of these Jeep shops that will take care of your swap as needed also besides a general mechanics shop should you choose to go that route.

If you decide to do an engine swap to some other type of motor, you will be in for a LOT more money and time. Typically it can take 2 to 3 weeks at minimum for a HEMI, Diesel or GM LSx swap to be performed. Get your checkbook ready too because a lot of custom stuff will have to be added or done, especially if there are vehicle emissions testing in your area where your registered address/garage is located. Transmission swaps, wiring harnesses, emissions and custom parts abound when you swap engines.

My wife and I decided to sell our 2009 JKUR rather than swap the engine out to a V8 or diesel and buy a later Jeep JL series that came with the engine in it that we wanted from the factory. This was rather more appealing than the idea to keep the endless checkbook open for a power-trian swap to be done. It will keep our sanity in the long run especially considering we got what we originally paid for our JKUR over 8 years and 120,000 miles driving later! We can't complain ONE bit about that.

RR

that is another really decent option, just replacing the jeep with a newer one, if you can afford it. no hassle, no fuss and driving that day

I've been thinking about "Modernizing" From my 4.0 YJ.....Scary thing is, Dang near all of the used JK's I've looked at have had replacement motors...So much so I've told the Missus that she's just going to have to put up with my Ol' '95 Turd bucket because she's never failed me and I can fix her myself if she ever does....

My 2010 JK with 91k miles runs decent but it's been using oil since 60k. Not had to do any engine work yet. My 1990 XJ 4.0 never did use any oil [other than leak a little] although it did have a lot of electronic issues. It had close to 220k when I traded. I like my jeep but I sure wish they built them better!

our tj has been good and all the yjs, zjs, xjs, and one lonely mj we had were all solid vehicles that hardly ever needed work (minus the tj being rolled, but thats not related to how it was built). the old 4.0 powered jeeps were probably some of the most dependable vehicles ever made

Back