Clutch pedal is making a Strange sound

Growmore

Ive always wanted a wrangler since i was a kid. well I recently bought a 2007 2 door jk six speed. When I bought it the clutch would make a squeeking sound, I just figured it was a rusty spring or something. But now it's developed another sound while not engaged almost like a ticking or a knock, any help would be appreciated.

2007 jk clutch pedal noise - YouTube

Hope the video helps

Yes. I know what it is. look underneath the dash, you well see a plunger arm going into your firewall. that plunger is operateing the hydraulic pump that operates your clutch. It sounds like a bad bushing and needs to be replaced. Mine got so bad that I had to use a bungee cord to keep the clutch pedal working. That was before I had to pi$$ on my hi lift jack to get it to work. We will get bye.

Last edited:
It could very well be a bushing going out, I'll check it out, but I actually think there is more then one issue and the ticking sound is really what has me concerned, the sound happens until I barely press the clutch pedal in, then contenues when I release it. I'll try to get a video of the ticking noise.

The squeak when pushing in is as Gennybro described. The slave cylinder is failing.
If the other noise is a rattle when the clutch is not engaged in neutral it is likely the throwout bearing.
Press clutch in even a little and the noise stops. It is likely a throwout bearing.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
I think your right. I might just get a clutch kit, any suggestions on a better aftermarket one to put in.

You could just replace those two without a entire clutch replacement.

your clutch may be fine, fix the little things first. Replaceing the clutch is a major job.

Thanks, I tend to over think and over due things. I will just fix the little things first as you and gennybro suggested starting with the slave cylinder and the throwout bearing. I'll post back here if it fixes the problem.

National, Timken or Mopar for throwout bearing.

Last edited:

OK, so today, I replaced the slave cylinder, and the squeeking noise is mostly gone. I'm hoping it will completely go away after I bleed it a few more times, but the ticking/clanking is still randomly happening so I'll be replacing the throwout bearing next and will update if it fixes the issue.

The throwout bearing is east to diagnose. Most of the time it makes noise when the clutch pedal is out. Pressing in a little stops the rattling noise.

Back