No crank, no power, no start after alt reg burned

GrizzT

I have an 83' CJ7 which I (or actually a fabrication shop) replaced the 4cyl with the 4.2 however the new alternator fused at the post making the fuseable link crispy and the battery extremely hot. After rebuilding the connections from the alternator and putting in a 30a inline fuse and replacing the alternator it does not start. Rechecked the battery and replaced it as well. Still no power to the dash, lights or other accy and still no crank not even a click. 12v is present at the HEI, to the solenoid (blue wire) and the fuse block. Replaced the ignition switch but still no change. I'm stumped and clearly missing something. Any advice greatly appreciated?

Also, I haven't tried replacing the solenoid or checking the starter as it seems I should have power to the dash lights, fan, turn sig etc.

Have you checked the ground connections?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Have you checked the ground connections?

Yes, the grounds are good. Wondering what else could have been impacted by the regulator going out. All fuses are also good. I don't see anything burned under the dash. I also don't see any other relays in the wiring diagram that I have. Unless I've missed it.

OMGoodness! Can't believe I did this JPinPA. You were exactly correct. It was the ground to the firewall/body that I spaced when I replaced the battery cables. Good grief....I suspected it was something simple...I just didnt expect that it was ME. Well thank you as you reminded me to return to basics and now she's running!

Glad to hear you figured it out. Makes you feel good. Doesn’t it?

When I make a mistake like that it makes me mad at me!
But it does serve as a good reminder and you are less likely to make that mistake again. We all learn [or should] from our mistakes.

For sure/\

I only have to burn something up once or twice and than i never do it again. But get shocked from it, ha ha ha, it only takes one time

You only remember when things go wrong.

Back