Motor cuts out on rainy days

GFD887

Driving my YJ late last week in down poor, I was doing about 45-55 mph and the engine just cut out, so i popped started it and ran for a few miles of so, before it did it again. Pop starting it works, but also pushing in the cluch and truning the key works too. I didn't happen on the way home, or the next day when it wasn't raining hard. IT did it again the third day once, but only when it was a hard rain. I have checked the wires, and found nothing wrong. Seeing how i work for a auto place, i figuring on putting it on the scanner wensday when i get to work to see if it's a computer issue, or some thing eltse... HELP Please if you have an Idea, I'm stumped so far :-?

edited by: GFD887, Jun 23, 2003 - 06:37 PM[addsig]

You may have water in the distributer.What I would do is get some silicone and spray the distibuter cap and plug wires.I did this to my cj and it works great.I've gone threw quite a few river crossings and pouring rain days and it hasnt cut out on me once.Hope this helps. Sully

edited by: Sully, Jun 23, 2003 - 10:16 PM[addsig]

I agree, sounds like a distributor or plug wire issue. Get a spray bottle and start the engine. Spray each wire and then the distributor to see if you can recreate the event. If the wires cuase it change them, if its the cap clean it and seal it.

Scott[addsig]

Cheapest attempt to fix is to replace the distributor cap, may have a crack in it. If that doesn't help, check the coil, they are also affected by moisture. Once it dries out it will probably run fine until the next time it rains :-( [addsig]

Replace the wires. sounds like you have a cracked wire somewhere. Also check the dist. for water or condesation. Remove the cap and load up the edge of the cap with dielectric grease to create a seal between the cap and dist.[addsig]

Back