it goes fine... but stopping is the problem

Snitty

I had a few friends out on a joyride tonight... and when i was about 5 miles from home... the brake petal went to the floor... i've been feeling a soft petal for a while now... i haven't thought anything of it... I think I have a slow leak in my driver rear wheel cylinder... i saw something wet around the drum.. so i'm led to assume i'll be changing the cylinder out here soon... its a good thing it didn't go dry when i was coming back down from our area's highest point while camping a few nights ago....

this is just what i need... the metallica concert is in a week, i'm still paying for my ticket, need money to buy stuff there, and hotel... insurance is coming up, the cell phone was shut off because they didn't send me a bill... the fuel level is at 1/4, which is the danger zone with my faulty unit... then the rest of the bills and expenses still aren't free... an $8 cylinder seems more like $500 at a time like this.... good thing i just finished up a big job, at least the insurance company won't be punching me right away.... gotta sleep... lots of extra work to do in order to make that cash[addsig]

Good luck sir ...you know we need a charity for
broke 4-wheelers ...Will work for parts... :lol: [addsig]

To make matters worse, it's probably not a faulty wheel cylinder. When you pull the drum off, you'll probably see wetness no higher than the axle shaft, bad seal. Happened to me once when I thought the wheel cylinder was leaking. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's the wheel cylinder, they're easy to replace. Seal is not too bad to replace, and cheap, but need new gear oil as well.[addsig]

When it rains it pours my good friend Snitty. I know the bottom of the barrel all to well and it is not the place to be. Good fortune to you sir and I hope all works out soon! tug[addsig]

still haven't looked... if it IS the seal.... i know its not a tough deal.. that's not bad to replace... and i have the oil already... i stocked up on it... i'm always inside those axles... the wet spot did smell like brake fluid though.... and it was the only place i could see anything wet when the petal fell[addsig]

shoes were worn down... the cylinder opened too far and popped... i put the cylinder back together and bled the system... i can stop again... no money needed... but i'll have to buy shoes soon so it doesn't happen again... and my adjuster is froze up, so i'll need new hardware as well... that explains my parking brake problem[addsig]

Back