What the best Carb for 258?

WV84CJ7

image-missing.png
I have an 84 CJ7 with a 258, Carter BBD Carburetor, Comp-Cam (Smooth Idle), and power-brakes (I mention this because I know not all Carbs will fit setups with power-brakes.) Engine has been rebuilt and the cam replaced recently. I can't get it run right no matter what I try. I’ve done the venturi tube cleaning, that helped before the new cam. Checked all of the vac-lines, ect. Even found another old Carter carb, it ran different with it but still not right. Anyway I’ve come to the point of finally giving up on the Carter.

So what’s the best Carb for me for the money? I’ve been looking at getting a Webber. I’ve heard good things about them, but would like to reassure myself before plunking down the 400+ for one.

I need to take care of this SOON! I’m missing great Jeepin weather!

Thanks in advance,

Pete[addsig]

I've heard of a lot of guys swapping on motorcraft 2100's... haven't done it myself, but here's a link with some info...

Motorcraft 2100

You might want to make sure that your jeep isn't going to have any problems passing an emissions inspection if you have them in your state. Or at least be prepared to swap the carter back on when the time for an emissions inspection roles back around.

Good Luck,

Jim

85 CJ[addsig]

Back