Manual Transmission Questions

jaketime81

I have a 97 TJ 4.0 with 5 speed manual transmission

My transmission has always grinded when I try to put it into reverse. Before I could shift into 3rd gear, then it would go into reverse just fine. Now it grinds every time in reverse. It is also getting hard to put it into first gear while at a stop. Im guessing it is my sincros, but I havnt had it checked out. I bought some mt fluid to drain and refill it but cannot seem to find the drain plug. It says in the manual and shows where it is, but does not say anything about removing the transfer case to get to it. Is this required? Has any one had this same problem and had there transmission sincros replaced or transmission rebuilt? Cost? May It be cheaper just to buy a new or rebuilt transmission and swap it in myself?
-Jake
[addsig]

it is much cheaper and easier to find a used transmission to put in there... it does sound like your synchros could be going... but then... it could just be a case of the wrong oil... some oils are too smooth and will not allow the synchros to do their job.... drain it and fill it with mt90 or synchromesh and see if it does any better... best to start cheap before you go big.... i found my transmission for $300 on ebay.. and it came with many many many extra parts[addsig]

Jeep clutch goes to the floor all the way to the floor. See if this helps. Check your clutch master cylinder fluid levels. If it is low fill it and try bleeding the slave. Good luck tug[addsig]

You don't have to remove the transfer case to drain the transmission, the drain plug is a large hex nut on the bottom of the transmission, towards the rear. Fill plug is high up on the passenger side, same type of plug as the drain.

Try the right fluid, works most of the time to improve shifting when having symptoms like yours.[addsig]

A friend of mine bought (his parents bought) a 97 new in 97 and his would always grind when putting it into reverse. He took it to the dealer and they told him "that's just the way they work" --- we were only 17 and didnt know any better so we believed them... [addsig]

most transmissions don't have a synchronized reverse... most transmissions will often grind in reverse until the gears slow down... but if you put it in 1st or 2nd to synchronize it all... it will usually go in smooth[addsig]

Me too...second or fourth...depending on my mood...but it seems to be a Jeep thing lol...all through the Tenn. trails, all that was breaking the silence of the mountains (aside from the flowmasters lol) was the coffee grinding reverse of Jeeps.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

i've always gone into 2nd before any other gear, including first, in ANY manual transmission vehicle... it always seems to help... even when i know it will go in smooth without it, habit brings me to do it[addsig]

I changed the fluid yesterday, What a pain in the neck gettin that fluid way up in that hole. big things in small holes... seem to be a common problem for me.... j/k, anyways thanks for the great advice. I'll try the 2nd gear thing.[addsig]

Okay, my synchronizers seem to have gone out on me a couple of weeks ago and I was just wondering if style of driving has something to do with them going out. I know it is a common problem because of the incorrect oil, but could my style of driving have made it worse? I will answer my question and say yes I'm sure it does. Now, can some of you guys describe the way you shift when you go from 0- 70 mph ; simulate passing another car, and then going back to a complete stop. I am just curious if I drive like everybody else drives. I don't want to break the new parts that are going to be installed again because of human error. Thanks[addsig]

NEVER bang into gears... if you do, you are slamming on the synchronizers, causing them to stop by impact, rather than allowing them to ease into meshing like they are designed to do... You can feel where the synchronizer is in the gears... when you shift, you can often feel a "gate" before it locks into gear... when you are stopped at that "gate", that is where the synchronizers are trying to come to the same speed to allow the teeth of the collars to mesh together... if you pull the shifter right to the "gate", and don't pull very hard thereafter, you can just apply slight pressure toward the gear, and it will seem to fall into gear. After doing this for a while, you will begin to notice a fast shift if timed right with the clutch. and it is very safe for the synchros[addsig]

Great. I know I've "banged into gears" a lot. It took me a while to get use to the sensitive gas pedal. Now I know why I messed up the sychronizers. Now I know. Thank much Snitty. Everything you said made a lot of sense.-Al[addsig]

Hey guys - along the same lines, I'm finding that my shift from 1st to 2nd in my '98 TJ is kinda rough. I'm attributing this to my Lock Right locker in the rear, but I'm not too sure.

When I accelerate quick off the start & shift fairly quickly into 2nd, the transmission will grind or shift pretty poorly.

I'm a former hot rodder who is used to pretty quick, smooth shifts.

Is this just a jeep transmission. thing, or what?[addsig]

Back