auto vs. manual

phiambo01tj

I have yet to go semi-serious offroading and i was just curious what the pros and cons are to having an automatic compared to a stick on the trail. I drive an 01 TJ Sport, six cylinder. I appreciate the help. :) [addsig]

It's all personal preferance, and the question you ask is one of those which came first questions.

I prefer the stick....gives me what I feel is more control of the engine...I control breaking speed and the gear I want to use. Some say the auto is better, have to wait for an auto Jeeper to reply to that one....no real "right" answer, just what you prefer.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

Heck, I'm new but just from my manual experiences in any vehicle compared to my now standard TJ experiences, I'd say standard is much better. You get so much more control over the vehicle, especially with knowledge.

Like yesterday, on the pits I let my bro drive cuz he is helping give me tips to offroad. I can make it over the same pits as him but if something comes up sticky, he can work the gears like nothing I"ve ever seen and not get stuck.

Me, I drive like a manual person suddenly slapped in a standard world. I change gears okay but when it gets sticky, I still forget that I have control over that and can change them myself to what's needed.

Just my opinion. :-D [addsig]

This is a huge and time old debate but it really does come down to mostly preference.

For rockcrawling the auto is more user friendly. With essentially an unlimited crawl ratio the auto can ascend inclines at speeds that the manuals would stall out on. On rocks going slow is king. The manuals can be made to work just as well but typically need a much higher crawl ratio (most agree between 80:1 and 150:1).

In the snow I think the manual is more effective, especially on descents.

[addsig]

Almost all the guys I have been wheeling with have auto's and I am a little jealous. We have been doing some serious rock crawling and it is so much easier with an automatic.[addsig]

Back