Popping out of second gear

Sully

Well,about a month ago I installed a new shifter boot for the cj,anyway.It seems the day I put it on,the jeep started popping out of second gear.I think it is due to the stiffness of the shifter boot???Well,this is getting really annoying,everytime I use 4wd it is mainly in second gear 4lo.And I always have to keep my finger on the shifter holding it in gear.Any suggestions?

I can't really think of much except for breaking that boot in... the only thing i can think of is to somehow relocate the boot further back, but you may lose the the forward gears that way... I've seen boots that restrict the shifter movement before... its no fun to have to keep your attention on the shifter

Had the same problem when I replaced mine... the best advice I can give you is to make sure you've pulled the boot down as close to the floor as possible. The more leverage that the boot has against the lever, the more likely it is to pop out of gear. If that doesn't help, I can almost guarantee that the problem will be gone in a month or so when the boot is a bit more broken in.

jim

I had that problem after installing lift, T-case lowering kit, and new shifter boot. I ended up buying another boot just like the one on t-case shifter, it is bigger and softer, I spun it around and screwed it in and it looks great. I also had to trim the back of the metal cover over the shifters to get it to go all the way into 2nd and 4th.

Shawn

Back