want to swap out my transmissiom, which to get, where to get

chrisc

I have a 1984 CJ7 2.5 / 4 speed. I believe that is the "T4" transmission correct? In any event the 4 speed is not the best on the highway. The 1st-4th gear ratio's are great for the little 4 cyl but i'd really like OD on the highway. Which transmission would be the best for me to swap in? Will I need a different bellhousing and clutch or is there an OD model of my transmission that will bolt right in? I want to use my current transfercase and driveshafts. All I want to swap is the transmission and if I have to, the clutch and bellhousing. Where is a good source to get one?

Thanks![addsig]

are you looking for more "get up and go" on the highway? Sounds like the 4 cyl. itself may be your problem.[addsig]

no... i know it's not a race car. i don't need anymore "get up and go." I would like to lower my cruising rpms. traffic out by me moves quite fast. i need to be able to cruise at 75 mph. the 4 speed makes that difficult.

on a side note i would like to upgrade to a transmission that would not only give me overdrive but also be able to handle a future small block chevy engine swap.

[addsig]

Well, I can think of 2 possibilitie. They are, the T5 (5 sp) and the NV4500 also a 5sp. The NV4500 is a monster though, will require a new bell housing, and new drive lines. The T5 came stock in the 6cyl CJ7's. I don't know about it being a direct bolt up though. If you have a heavy foot, then when you get around to swapping in that 350, you'll want the NV4500. The T5 can hold up to the 350, if dirven camly. What your looking to do is gonna cost which ever way you choose, so, I would recommend that you start saving coin, and do it right the first time.

Live with what you have till you have the money, then do the 350 swap and transmission together. Who says you have to travel at 75mph anyway? Speed limit is 65 isn't it? Is it so vitally important that you have to speed to get where your going? So it'll take you a few minutes more. So what? Enjoy life, slow down some.

[addsig]

Back