Alternator question

grooveman

I have been hearing a low pitched whining noise intermittently from the engine compartment when the motor is running. I also noticed the voltmeter needle was lower than normal, around 10-11 volts. Normally the needle is pegged right in the middle on the 14 volt mark but it was halfway between that and 0. I figured it was time for a new alternator and installed it today but alas... It still shows the same reading. Any ideas?

parts

I'd start by tightening the belt.
if the belt isn't gripping, it will squeel and not turn the alternator like it should.

Also, is this just at idle, or does it still show low even when rpm's are >1000? It SHOULD be pumping out 14v.
If it still shows low, check your wiring and make sure everything is snug.. I use a little dieletric grease on all the contacts just to make sure ;)

Also, have you added anything recently that might be drawing lots of power? Fog lights, wench, juicebox, etc? I know I have and i'm going to be picking up my new powermaster 150amp alternator this afternoon because the stock 56 amp alternator isnt powerful enough to even run my headlights.

Nope, Belts tight.. The whining is similar to what I had heard before when I had an alternator go bad. Also, I have added no accessories and even at highway speeds it still shows low voltage.

If you bought the new alternator from a chain parts store, you can't always assume the new part is good :(

But, I'd check the belt first too :wink:

-Nick :!:

Back