Fellow Yoko'er

PASmokeater

Hey Gadget...not many Yoko Jeepers in here...wondering what you thought about the tires you have...I'm running the Geolander AT II's. I LOVE them, but wondering if Yoko makes a better tire ?

Rob 8) :p :)

Go with Super Swamper Boggers ....... That's the turning of Mother Earth ///// :) :) :)

Hello, Rob,

I am glad to read that your knee situation is progressing well.

About the Yoko tires? I wish I could give you an in-depth reply, but I cannot authoritatively compare the Yokos to another brand of big tire.

The Yokos (33 x 12.5) were on my current CJ (Yes, I have loved others.) at purchase, some 16 months ago. The Jeep also came with a "spring pack" lift to accommodate the Yokos.

About all I can offer is that the Yokos perform well on the street. They are very quiet, and they perform well on the wet and dry roads typical of our spring and summer. They also perform well on the snowy/icy roads typical of an upstate New York winter.

By way of my location, the nearest large city is Syracuse. I also keep a boat at a marina near Darrin's @ ECOR shop. (One of these days, I will go to ECOR and say, "hello.") I mention my location because the long-term average annual snowfall here is approximately 115 inches. Consequently, a good all-around compromise tire is almost mandatory for all vehicles, to include my street Jeep. I can only advise that I am satisfied with the Yokos given the road conditions in which I must drive.

As regards off-road performance of the Yokos -- I have no clue. I have never driven this Jeep off road -- unless driving on my back lawn would qualify. Having been born only a short time after the earth cooled, age and medical restrictions have caught up with me and limit what I should attempt in my Jeep.

I regret not having gotten into the Jeep thing some forty years or so ago. How I would love to take a Jeep into the woods like you, Tug and so many of our fellow Jeepers.

I know the above won't help much by way of answering your tire questions, but that is about all I can honestly offer as regards the Yokos.

BTW -- I did read your post about the Paragon excursion of 2004 and noticed that there are "bunny" trails. Who knows? Maybe I will be able to show up, meet some fellow Jeep crazies, give those Yokos a work-out and the street-queen a mud bath.

If my Jeep could smile, I bet she would -- and so would I.

Regards,

Inspector-G

I just got a new set of the Yokohama Geolander AT's yesterday. I had the Geolander Mudterrains, they lasted me a little over three years which isn't bad for a mud terrain tire. I went with the AT's this time because they're better in the snow than the mud terrains. I plan on running the AT's in the winter and switching over to Super Swamper TSL-SSX for the summer. My friends run a tire wholesale company here in BC wich is the main distributor for tires to western Canada. They swear by the Geolanders, they all run the Geolanders on their vehicles and they say they wouldn't go with any other brand of tire even though they sell almost every different major brand out there.

hey Gadget...
there are Bunny trails there, and you would do fine...One day I had the privaledge of taking a 71 year young Jeeper on his very first off road excursion. You are always welcome to come and will be greeted with open arms.

As fgar as ECOR, I wish I would have known about the boat, because I was just up there in June...we all could have gotten together for a cup of coffee.
Keep Paragon in mind, and I hope we can see you there.

Rob 8) :p :)

Rob,

Thank you. Your Paragon offer is appreciated.

I registered with this Jeep board on the 13th of June. I was probably still in lurker-mode when you made a trip to ECOR.

If you should visit ECOR again, please let me know. I am always open to a good cup of coffee and conversation.

Regards,

Inspector-G

I find it kinda funny how this was posted yesterday, and I also ordered my new tires yesterday. I got the yoko geo's. I got them from summit, best off road tire for the price and warranty I could find. I was gonna get the super swamper radial TSL's from desert rat, about the same price but no tread warranty. I guess now I can join the exclusive yoko tire club! yee-haw

Johnny

Back