cj 5 fuel pump

marc

My budy has a 79 cj 5 with the 258 and I beleve a webber 2bbl, I cant tell you what size carb, but its just a webber, anyway he goes through fuel pumps like crazy i am talkin like 1 a month and a max when were trail riding 5 in one month, i dont know much since i drive a fuel injected yj, he would apprecate any help, he can already change the pump in 2 min and thats if he drops somthing

thanks[addsig]

goes through them how? breaks the arm in the back off?

[addsig]

I am not real sure i guess its somthing internal because the warrenty covers them, all i know is that they go out slowly over say a few miles or a couple high revs, they loose pressure he stalls pull one out from under his seat shoots his carb full of ether fires it back up and keeps going, all i know where they set on his cam the gears are not stripped or rounded off, right now he is useing an edelbrock fuel pump i beleve and its lasted about 2 weeks but tonight on the trai he was starting to stall again replaced it with a napa one and went home[addsig]

He needs to get away from the "kragen" auto remanufactured pumps! In my young & dumb days I went cheap. I went through fuel pumps fairly often, then but they were remanufactured pumps!

Is he absoulty sure the pump is the problem? How is he testing it? A good check is to pinch the rubber fuel line that runs from the pump to the carb. While the motor is ideling, you can feel a "pulse" That pulse will be strong and increase with engin RPM's If the pulse is weak, then, it probably is the pump.

My tech manual has a procedure for testing the fuel pump. It basically has you disconnect the fuel supply line, and put the open end into a suitable container for gas, and crank over the motor for 1 minute. (not statring it!) the pump should pump a certine quantity of fuel in that minute. (can't recall the exact quantity now, mopar EFI kit installed) if it doesn't then again, the pump is probably bad.

That many pumps though! Something doesn't sound right? Could be the Weber is the problem!

[addsig]

Back