V8 Engine Swap for CJ5

bryson

This fall, I plan to swap out the tired 6 cyl for a remanufactured V8. I have a 1979 CJ5 with a 3 speed transmission. It is lifted and locked with 4 inch lift, 33 inch tires, ARB lockers front and rear, and re-geard to 4:56

What is the V8 engine of choice for this swap. Any pointers are greatly appreciated

I know a lot of guys put chevy small blocks in em, but I'm a big fan of the AMC motors - both of my jeeps originally had 258's, and I've put AMC 304's in both. The only thing you've gotta do is find v8 motor mounts from another cj or commando - the 6 cyl ones won't work. My big beast has the 3 speed stick, and I've beat that behind a 304 for about 5 years. Haven't had a problem with it yet - all I do now is twist driveshafts occasionaly.
If you do the amc swap, make sure you get the right flywheel - 6 cyl flywheel looks the same as the 304 one, but won't work.

The easiest swap is to go AMC. The transmission will bolt right up. You can get the mounts from any 4X4 retailer. I have a 304 in my 79 CJ5, and I love it. It is time for me to start thinking about rebuilding it though, cause it's gettin real tired, and I can't afford for it to go south on me just yet.

My big beast has the 3 speed stick, and I've beat that behind a 304 for about 5 years. Haven't had a problem with it yet - all I do now is twist driveshafts occasionaly.

That is good to hear. I was wondering about the 3 speed behind my 350 chevy. Some try to claim it is too weak. According to Novak adapters it is a very strong trans. Thanks for the info.

Later,
Jackal

Yes, that is a picture of Calvin pissing on ex-wife on my back window. :D :D

Bikes...

I'll get one for ya' far right. Where in Ark are you located????

Later,
Jackal :lol:

304, 360, and 401 are all good choices. Go big if the rest of the drivetrain can handle it. 360 can be found in a lot of old Wagoneers, and the 360 & 401 can be found in J trucks as well.

FAR RIGHT I am in the Fort smith /Van buren area. I would guess that I go to Little Rock and take a Far Right to get to where you are?
Hence the name ????

That T18 trans , is it out of a Scout? I have read some of the differences between them and the others. I have their dana 20 has lower gears like a bronco, and the trans has the pattern of the dana 300???

Check with Novak or Advanced adapters. Advanced has a info book for $10 that is full of interchange and ratios and all kinds of good info.

Later,
Jackal 8)

Back