Best Option For Transporting A Canoe?

Mungster

4WD Hardware Magazine

I recently picked up a 16' canoe for a good price, and I am a little stumped as to the best way to transport it on my 95 YJ.

What kinds of options are there in the way of roof racks?

What do you guys use successfully?

-Alan

mmmmmmmm I forget what a YJ is but my friend has a liberty and he bought a rack from a general auto store and tuffed it up with PVC pipe on the inside. Works great for him, he had just bought a canoe too.

2.5 L vs 4L

I had thought of this myself.... I think if the weather is nice you might be able to get away with lashing a pole across the back of the rollbar then just set the canoe on the windshield frame/rollbar/pole.... not sure if it would work, but might be worth a shot. The problem is this would be tough, if not impossibe with the top on.

Just a thought

Nathan

Remove the top pad your windshield frame and lay that puppy on the roll bars and frame and tie it off front and rear bumpers. Tug

Go check out my website and look at my roof rack. http://coreyandhis.jeepz.com
I have the Kargo Master Congo Cage and it's rated to hold 500 lbs. I believe that it would. I've carried 6 sheets of plywood up there with no wobble. I mainly got it for my longboard. I highly suggest it. I recently mounted Yakima bars across it, but no pics yet. You should be able to find the cage for under $250 including shipping.

C

I always just put a foam pad on the windshield and strap it down to the rollbars. The only drawback is that it kinda has taken a toll on my top...which has always been a bit ratty anyway. My buddy has the Congo Rack w/out the cage and just uses wood or scrap steel for cross bars and then straps it down.

Turn the Canoe sideways across your Jeep then paint "Napoleon" across the side. and drive down the road. Should work, at least to piss off some French people. ;)

I vote for what tug said. Ive had to carry 2 15' paralamn beams for work and I did it that way. Those things weighed about 300 a piece and I had no problems. I tied the rear of them to my reciever hitch and the front down to the front bumper. I did aboiut 50 with them up there and they didnt move around too much.

TARSI

Get a trailer unless you wanna lift it up and down ....Yuck .....Or make you a hitch extension with a "Y" at the top holding the canoe...:)

Back