87 Wrangler 4cyl Hyd Slave Clutch Question

tfultz

Ignitions in CJ's

Hi All,

I have replaced this slave clutch twice before. Once about, 2 years ago and just about 6 months ago. Yesterday, my clutch went south again, no pressure at all.

Dropping the transmission is becoming very tiresome. I did notice a lot of throwout bearing noise several months after the last install.

Is there a trick to install this part and keep it working?

FYI, I replaced the master and slave. I have tried bleeding with no luck. Fluid was a little low but I cannot detect any leaks. My guess is that the slave is not working.

Tom

Why don't you just replace the whole clutch if it a continuious problem. I just replaced mine recently and it made a world of difference. WOW! Maybe the pressure plate has collapsed if you have no clutch pressure.

I replaced mine about 6 months ago when I decided to change out the transmission due to 3rd and 4th gear grinding. I went through three hydr. slaves in a couple of days apart until I found out that I had the
wrong presssure plate in. Boy I was pissed! Luckily each time it happened I was in my driveway. Anyhow just makesure you have all the correct components and that slave that you got might have been a factory defect.

if it seems to be a reoccuring problem... you can get a bellhousing and clutch from a TJ... they use the external slave clutch... when the slave goes, you can just change it without dropping the transmission

'94 and newer have the external slave if you can find a donor bellhousing. You'll also need the input housing from the donor, and the clutch too. Oh, and the clutch master cylinder, is the list getting long yet :shock: :lol:

Ok, Where did you buy the master cylinder? I bought mine at Lappens and had to replace 3 TIMES before i had enough, this is in a 3 MONTH PERIOUD! buy one from http://www.jeepsamerica.com/. They have the BEST parts. I met the owner of the entire company the other day. I am 17 years old mind you and he invited me into his office told me about his company and how it started and introduced me to the best parts on the market. So try one fom them, I did and haven't had any problems. I have a brand new clutch if you would like to buy. I have the clutch and the disk minus the slave cylinder.

I had a new 87 with the same problem. The dealer replaced the slave 3 times in one year. They never could get it right.
Swapping over to a 94 with external slave sounds like a cool upgrade.
good luck 8)

Just a shout out to all the responders. Thanks. I got it going by replacing it all again, but I'm now looking for a scrape 94 to get parts from.

Thanks Again

thanks for the input. i am familiar with the external hydrolic system on many vehicles - an easy fix, the yj jeeps are rather new to me. are the "T J " parts you mentioned gona fit on a 94 Y J with the 4 cylindar and the weak transmission ? Yin

Back