Busted off a Tooth or two from my Flywheel!

Tug-n-pull

This really stinks! Starter must have hit the fly wheel just wrong or something cause it seems to have a bad place on the flywheel now. If the starter spins and sounds bad I have to rock the jeep in high gear to reset the flywheel to a new spot for it to grab then it sounds awful when it turns.

So it seems I will be droping the transfer and transmission now to replace the stinking thing. Good time to replace the clutch and what ever else looks worn in there at that time.

I hate the things that make you go Dang It! tug

That does stink, sorry to hear about the run of bad luck. I havent seen any new pics. lately, how is ol' tugly comming along? Keep those wrenches a turnin' and that paint can a shakin' cause winter will be here before we know it.

J" I sure hope my luck swings that way but feel it is the flywheel. I am going to pull the starter in the morning and check it out Thanks. n2jeeps I have had no time to amount to anything this past few weeks as it is my busy season at work. I have been worken like a dawg doing two to three Auctions a week on average! So for pics nope I have had no time to take pics or even get on the trails to amount to anything. I have spent a few min's at a time working on tugly but she is a starting to take shape and look like some sort of a trail machine. May have to change her name soon. Looking tougher all the time. Had to put new tires on the Surburban so that set my lift and tires fund back on the back burner for a time no biggie cause I ran Jeezabell as a stocker for almost a year prior to getting everything done to her. I think the before and after pics will show tugly in a different light! thanks for the coments. tug

Generally the teeth on the starter are softer than the fly wheel so you won't break them .....Good luck I will keep my fingers crossed...:)

Front axel wobbles.

Tug,

I don't know if the Tugly bellhousing will be the same as the Bubbacon bellhousing, but on my CJ there is an "inspection" or "access" plate on the lower front end of the bellhousing. With that plate removed, a large section of the flywheel edge is visible.

You can then bump the starter or turn the engine over manually to inspect the entire circumference of the flywheel.

I have read of people removing the access plate and sticking a garden hose up into the bellhousing to flush out mud and debris caked in front of the flywheel.

Regards,

Gadget

to heck with the started Throw that baby in second and push start her. just always park on a hill ;)

Tug,

You are welcome.

I keep getting this mental image of you standing in front of your Jeep, wearing a World War-I leather flying helmet and goggles, yelling "C-O-N-T-A-C-T!!!" while furiously hand cranking the engine.

And then -- your family commits you to the Daisy Hill Home for Demented Jeepers.

Nnnaaaaahhhhhhh...Don't do the crank thing. We need you here.

:lol:

Gadget

i'm all for it... that or a lawnmower pull start

Well the worst came to be. The FLywheel is shot teeth are ground down in several places. I have a sneaky feeling that the starter is not the starter I need. Who know who cares time to get the work done and get ready for the fall trail season. Now the question what will be easyer to pull the engin and do the repairs or to drop the transfer and transmission and do the repairs?

OK now if you please give me a heads up as to what all I am going to run into with the non hydraulic clutch on the CJ. I learned much about the YJs system but this is a horse of a different color! Please tell me it will be cheaper and easyer! tug

I would just say drop the transmission and transfer case ...which you will have to disconect all clutch linkage and pull the starter anyway and get you a new one ....I would look at getting a new flywheel ring (the teeth) and having the flywheel resufaced at a auto store...A total new flywheel is going to be a bunch of green .....Quadratec has the new rings for the fly wheel ....Hope I have helped good luck Tug .....:) :) :) :) :)

Tug,

My knee-jerk reaction was to agree with jhiggins. (Pull transmission and x-fercase.)

But, on consideration...

Do you anticipate that the Tugly engine will require internal repair in the near future? If so, pull the engine and kill all those pesty engine, flywheel birds with one stone.

Or...Since either choice will involve much the same wrench work...

Pull everything! Do it all the first time, do it right and do it once.

If Tugly needs the work, Tugly needs the work. It won't be less expensive doing it piece-meal, but it will be less efficient.

My contribution to the pot-luck dinner.

Regards,

Gadget

Edit: (Oops...replace all "Tugly"s with "Wolverine.") :oops:

Back