'85 cj7 wont start

bigbronco

I drove my jeep home 3 days ago and stopped to get gas about 5 miles from home. i shut it off, filled her up and it started fine. got home, went inside, grabbed a glass of tea and it would turn over but wouldnt start.
I have no clue as to why it would not all of a sudden start. I changed the battery, Coil, Ignition module, Distributor cap, ROtor, and a new distributor. Also a new starter switch. What could the problem be.
After I put the new distributor on, it would backfire when i stopped trying to crank it but still no fire. my spark plugs only get fire when you are about to shut the key off. and same with coil. When cranking, the motor sounds to be having to push something extra. It is getting fuel, I have tried different patterns from my distributor to plugs to see if that was it. but no luck. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also, any jeepers from Southwest missouri, Northwest arkansas, or northeast oklahoma give me a holler and we can maybe go wheelin sometime. thanks

Make sure you spark plug wires are in the corect order if you have the I-6 itis 153624. if you have a differant engine call a parts store and ask them for the firing order. If they are out of order it will not start. Then make sure you distributer is not loose. I have had one come loose and it moved throwing the timing off. I would also pull a plug and see if you are getting spark. If it will not start it is usually gas or spark if you have gas getting then make sure you have spark. You could have a float in the carb off that is flooding it out. You could also have a plugged fuel filter letting enough fuel in to see but not to start. If you carb is flooding you can push the gas peddle to the floor and hold it there as you crank it. thats all of the basics I can think of right now.

Back