TJ check engine light

X_Factor

1989 cherokee steering wheel play

Last Tuesday, my check engine light came on for the first time. The mileasge was around 11,660. The Jeep was running fine and I couldn't tell a difference in driving or engine misses, etc. I called the Jeep service department on Wednesday and set up an appointment for Friday. However, the light went off on Thursday and I didn't take the Jeep in for service. Should I be worried about this, or is it just a regular dealer-installed service light that tells you at a certain mileage you should have it checked? Also, I know the check engine light will come on if the gas cap is not screwed on properly. I did check that, and it did not correct the problem. If anyone has any suggestions or has been in a similar situation, let me know.

Blown 2 U-Joints in past 2 months

Check your computer for Error codes.

Hold your Milege button, then turn the Key from Off to "Run" do not try to start the TJ. it will tell you any codes it has. or will tell you "no faults"

While holding the odometer button down, turn the key from off to run (not start) and back to off again. Any stored trouble codes will be displayed in the odometer, let us know what you find.

Nothing to worry about IMO, it's no longer detecting the problem that threw the code and caused the idiot light to come on. Probably a temporary change in manifold pressure, change in gas, or loose cap, or who knows. All's good if it goes off on it's own, that's the way I like it :p

OK. I did the code check and got the following:

8 came up first

05 03 came up next

Neither one of these codes match the list. Any ideas?

Back