on board air/ factory ac

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Well, i have been doing my research and all I can find is info on York compressors and swapping them out of AMC eagles and in to 84 CJ's which is cool, but i have a 94 YJ. I would like to keep the serpintine system and keep it very much standardized. I know the factory YJ ac compressor does not have a oil resevour (spelling??) I know I can use a dryer and remove the oil from the air, but what would be the best method to re-oiling the compressor. I checked out kilby on board air, and I think I just got more confused about reoiling cause they keep saying "buy a york" well I don't want a york, too big and too expensive!

Any help would be appreciated!

Does anyone have OBA in a 92-95 YJ?

motor is a 4.0, no AC

Johnny

You have to buy a compressor either way, why not get the 10ci York and do it right. The Sanden runs hotter, and you have to worry about lubrication.

Kilby has the bracket and pulleys to keep the serpentine setup, just get a used York at a junkyard to save $$. Mount the York on the factory AC bracket.

I´ve never tried it, but a tool oiler, installed on the inlet might work. The oiler would have to be adjustable, as the intake, just doesn´t have the flow pressure of the outlet. Probably wouold be a pain to empty the seperator at the outlet, into the resivour of the oiler in the inlet. Most auto AC´s are kind of marginal, in CFM for air tools, anyway.
One guy last year, posted a thread about on board air, said he had good success from the load levleing air compressor, electric, OEM, from a large luxery auto. Said it filled his tires jiffy quick. Believe it was a Buick, I´ll do a search and get back to you.
I built a small compressor (york type) with a tank and a 2/3 horse motor (lawnmower). With a simple (double) pressure relief valves, to relieve the extra prssure. That will drive a small impact wrench in spurts. That doesn´t take up anymore space than a medium suitcase. I´ve had it for about fifteen years now, a few oil changes and a couple of new belts is the only trouble it´s ever had. I can carry it with me and move it from auto to auto as needed.
I believe some of the old Volvo´s used the York also. Another place to check might be a truck junk yard, most large trucks have compressors, for the air brakes. But many of the compressors share oil with the motor.

Volvos do have yorks, as do late 70's chevy trucks with dealer installed AC (my 77 blazer had it) I am trying to get the best bang fo rthe buck and keep it clean!

I got my York out of a Volvo from a U-Pull-It type junkyard for 30 bucks... It came with a V-belt pulley, so I will need to order the serpentine one from Kilby when I order my mounting kit... The Volvo's came with the 10cc version, so I lucked out there...

Also, check out this guys website... He has tons of information, including a home grown York install...

i have a sanden that is on its way to me here soon (that's what he said early this year)... i've done a lot of research and i saw on one writeup where someone ran a tube from the seperator to the oiler on the intake and it recycled the oil automatically... he claimed it never failed him

with having to buy this and make that...I would make an easy suggestion here...look here.
A self contained quick air two is only 249.00$. It comes complete with everything you need to had on-board air. It doesnt take Torque from the motor to run it. You dont need to oil it. And it comes with a warrantry.

Thanks all, I am going to weigh all my options, considering price as #1 influence. I might be leaning towards the u-pull york, which I was trying to avoid due to size. We will see!

Again thanks all!

Johnny

The belt driven 10ci York will run an impact without a tank, no problem. Only electric I've seen able to keep up is the York with an electric motor attached :roll:

Back